Big Bass Man

Spraying Automotive Clear?

What is it you don't like about the Harbor Freight airbrush Pat? I was thinking of getting one to use just for spraying auto clear. Can you purchase different size nozzles and needles for the HF brush?

I've only sprayed a few baits and have used 2 different brushes. One was a Paasche VL with their #3 tip in it and it seemed to do OK. (have no idea how Paasche sizes their nozzles or what their #3 is comparable to---seems fairly large though) Also sprayed it in an Air Pro Tools airbrush (cheap Iwata knock-off) with a .2mm tip in it. The auto clear seemed like it was trying to set up in the smaller tip before I was finished. It actually quit spraying once, but by backing the needle out I was able to clear the nozzle and it started spraying again. The fact that it tried to clog worried me as I was only clearing 2 baits. The .2mm nozzle might be a tad small to spray the auto clear.

Glad you posted this as I'm anxious to see what some of the more knowledgeable guys have to say.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Thanks for the reply BEN!! The siphon feed just shoots out a small fine line of the clear with the air pressure turned up to 45 psi. I was hoping to know of an airbrush that will spray it out in a wider pattern. I thought about trying one of my iwatas, but thought I would ask for some advice on here first.

Patrick

Can you purchase different size nozzles and needles for the HF brush?

The HF brush I got has three different needle sizes with it, .2 , .3, and a .5 all came with the brush. It was two years ago when I purchased the airbrush, dont really know what all types of airbrushes they have in stock now.

My neighbor got me started on the auto clear. He restores old muscle cars and asked me to customize a few tags for him and he showed me everything I needed to know about spraying the clear, but knows nothing about airbrushes. I use a full size sprayer on the tags and it goes on great. A full size sprayer is a bit too much for baits though. I am just thinking that a gravity feed will spray the clear on better than the siphon feed.

Patrick

Glad to see this topic raised. Been thinking of trying auto clear myself and was wondering about the best AB to use.

For those who have already sprayed auto clear ... what is best to spray through the AB to clean it? Lacquer Thinner ?

Also, are you using a 2-part clear or one that is ready to shoot out the can?

Glad to see this topic raised. Been thinking of trying auto clear myself and was wondering about the best AB to use.

For those who have already sprayed auto clear ... what is best to spray through the AB to clean it? Lacquer Thinner ?

Also, are you using a 2-part clear or one that is ready to shoot out the can?

I've just recently started using auto clear so there may be better ways than what I'm doing. The auto clear I have is a 2 part clear that is mixed at a ratio of 4 to 1. Been cleaning my brushes with acetone and it seems to be working fine so far.

Ben

The airbrush is fine, but a medium sized tip might be best. The key is to use a gravity feed brush so you are not spraying so much air, which dries the material in the tip.

Are you spraying this stuff in an open area, with lots of fresh air, and wearing a chemical mask? That stuff is pretty dangerous.

You can shoot auto clear thru a large tipped airbrush, but its not really the optimal way to it.....I've cleared lots of stuff over the years and while I have shot clear on several items with an airbrush (including crankbaits) I find its much easier, quicker and I seem to get a better finish when I use a bigger gun like a touchup gun or my preference, a gravity feed mini hvlp gun.....I've got one from Astro that is a Sata minijet knockoff and it works great for shooting clear on small items. Those smaller guns are perfect for work like this....Lures are just too small to ever need a full sized spraygun when clearing and sometimes an airbrush isn't quite big enough....Mini guns fit the bill.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all of the replies!!

You can shoot auto clear thru a large tipped airbrush, but its not really the optimal way to it.....I've cleared lots of stuff over the years and while I have shot clear on several items with an airbrush (including crankbaits) I find its much easier, quicker and I seem to get a better finish when I use a bigger gun like a touchup gun or my preference, a gravity feed mini hvlp gun.....I've got one from Astro that is a Sata minijet knockoff and it works great for shooting clear on small items. Those smaller guns are perfect for work like this....Lures are just too small to ever need a full sized spraygun when clearing and sometimes an airbrush isn't quite big enough....Mini guns fit the bill.

Thanks 68kingfisher!!! Do you have a link with gravity feed hlvp gun that you are refering to? I just want to make sure that I purchase the right one, so that I dont have to go purchase another. I sure appreciate all you guys that know what type of airbrushes to use with the auto clear!!

Patrick

Are you spraying this stuff in an open area, with lots of fresh air, and wearing a chemical mask? That stuff is pretty dangerous.

I spray it in a well ventilated area with fans blowing it out the door as I am spraying it. I wear a 3m chemical mask while spraying also. Its a must to use the auto clear on the tags, because the epoxy will yellow pretty quick on tags, that goes on the front of cars. I have read a ton of good things about using it on baits for a clear. Since I already have the clear for the custom tags, I want to be able to use it on baits also.

Thanks again guys!!

Patrick

As is typical with anything I purchase, my Astro mini gun is no longer produced....but I found what appears to be an equally nice little hvlp mini gun for a decent price from Harbor Freight.....theres even a nice little video showing the gun in action so you can see the spray pattern before ya buy....check it out. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

My Astro has a 1.2 nozzle size and I find it works well for anything smaller then a motorcycle tank....Once I paint something bigger then a bike tank, I'll switch to a full size gun.

What type of clear are you guys using? I take it there must be a one part that air cures?

For what is worth. My norm has been 14" wood baits. I have been spraying Excel or Wham Bam, both automotive 2part clears. When doing 40 to 50 at a time I spray with an auto touch up gun,HVLP. if it's a few, I use my Badger anthem. They have a tapered needle no size.For my application it comes down to the right amount of reducer being used.

The 4 second drip test is a good rule for any mix, clear coats can be over reduced with excellent results.

Coverage is best obtained with a wider spray pattern , 75 percent overlap and a wet look to the clear.

Depending on the need , pressure goes from 15 to 35 psi.

Just started making smaller baits this year and had to get the anthem fine needle setup, works well.hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

hot walleye black7.jpg

post-22666-0-86993700-1310816774_thumb.jpg

@ Ben

What kind of auto clear do you use and what is the mix ratio.?????? Does it make a difference if your airbrush has teflon packing...seems to me that teflon would be better.....You said you use a size 3 tip......have you ever used a number 5.......I'm just wondering if the larger tip would be better......Thanks for your help.....take care

Brent

@ Ben

What kind of auto clear do you use and what is the mix ratio.?????? Does it make a difference if your airbrush has teflon packing...seems to me that teflon would be better.....You said you use a size 3 tip......have you ever used a number 5.......I'm just wondering if the larger tip would be better......Thanks for your help.....take care

Brent

I'm using Dupont Select Clear 2K 498-00 and the mid-temp activator. They make different activators to be used at different temperature ranges. It is mixed at a 4 to 1 ratio. (4 parts resin to 1 part activator)

I think that most quality airbrushes that are manufactured these days have teflon packing so you probably don't need to worry about that. But to answer your question, yes, teflon is better than a rubber o-ring as it's more resistant to harsh chemicals.

As far as nozzle size don't get a Paasche #3 nozzle confused with a .3 millimeter nozzle. Paasche has their own way of sizing nozzles and I'm not exactly sure how they size them, but a #3 nozzle is fairly large in comparison to a .3mm nozzle. I'm usually only clearing a couple baits at a time and a #3 nozzle in the Paasche VL is quite adequate in my opinion. Using a #5 nozzle would create quite a bit more overspray and you would just be wasting product and I don't see that you would save much, if any, time when spraying a few baits. Again that's just my opinion. If I were building baits for sale and spraying hundreds of them at a time I would probably go with one of the HVLP mini-guns that have been discussed earlier in this thread.

hope this answers your questions,

Ben

What about the clear coat product from Duplicolor Paint Shop line? Requires no mixing or reducing.

http://shop.advancea..._T|GRP2050_____

The link page says this product is a laquer. The other products mentioned as 2 part are likely urethane products.

So results( finish and durability) will vary with application and use. Its up to the user to decide. Everyone will have opinions and likely will be all over the place. Some will have cost and availability concerns and others won't. If you just build a few baits for yourself and friends one might make the most sense to you. If you are in more of a production mode then another finish. In other words its really up to you and what you're willing to try. Kind of like buying a pickup truck. All kinds and all sizes. Pick the one thats best for you.