Big Bass Man

Spraying Automotive Clear?

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-HVLP-EVO-T-SPRAY-GUN/dp/B000N2TKVA

I use this kind of gun Patrick. You can use a airbrush but its a pain to clean out the auto clear with lacquer thinner after your done because it can dry fast inside a small gun like a airbrush.. and you can screw up your airbrush over time. My airbrushes are for painting and my Auto Astro Gun is for clearing... I wait until I have about 30 to 50 lures ready to clear before I spary it. For my foil baits I have to put a coat of Bob Smith Epoxy over it before I can clear coat it. If you use Auto Clear make sure you have protection for your lungs face and body. I have a full body Dupont painting suit and a outside airflow full shield mask over my face. When its 98 degrees outside you will loose 10 pounds clear coating all day long. Don't fish your lures for 4 to 6 weeks. The longer you wait the better. Main reason why my shipping time has always took so long... I hold the stuff for weeks before I ever ship it.. just to be safe. Hope this helps..

Tips:

1. Spary 1 tack coat very light... no gloss... wait 10 or 15 mins.. usually by the time you get number 50 done you can go back to the first one you painted and spary the 2 gloss coat. That tack coat will hold your 2 gloss coat in place and you will get less runs in your clear.

Best Auto Clear Coat I ever used was Por 15 INC Glisten PC...Dries to touch in 20 mins but you can't glue lips in or really handle the baits for 4 to 5 days. The stuff is tuff as nails. But I dont care what clear you use...IT WILL NOT STOP HOOK RASH!!!!!!

If anyone wants to tell me any different send me one of your baits and I will take some of my QUAD HOOKS I use on my swimbaits and go back and forth 10,000 times with the sharp hook to see if I can leave a mark...If I can't mark it I will send you 100 bucks!

Good Luck bud... keep up the good work.

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-HVLP-EVO-T-SPRAY-GUN/dp/B000N2TKVA

I use this kind of gun Patrick. You can use a airbrush but its a pain to clean out the auto clear with lacquer thinner after your done because it can dry fast inside a small gun like a airbrush.. and you can screw up your airbrush over time. My airbrushes are for painting and my Auto Astro Gun is for clearing... I wait until I have about 30 to 50 lures ready to clear before I spary it. For my foil baits I have to put a coat of Bob Smith Epoxy over it before I can clear coat it. If you use Auto Clear make sure you have protection for your lungs face and body. I have a full body Dupont painting suit and a outside airflow full shield mask over my face. When its 98 degrees outside you will loose 10 pounds clear coating all day long. Don't fish your lures for 4 to 6 weeks. The longer you wait the better. Main reason why my shipping time has always took so long... I hold the stuff for weeks before I ever ship it.. just to be safe. Hope this helps..

Tips:

1. Spary 1 tack coat very light... no gloss... wait 10 or 15 mins.. usually by the time you get number 50 done you can go back to the first one you painted and spary the 2 gloss coat. That tack coat will hold your 2 gloss coat in place and you will get less runs in your clear.

Best Auto Clear Coat I ever used was Por 15 INC Glisten PC...Dries to touch in 20 mins but you can't glue lips in or really handle the baits for 4 to 5 days. The stuff is tuff as nails. But I dont care what clear you use...IT WILL NOT STOP HOOK RASH!!!!!!

If anyone wants to tell me any different send me one of your baits and I will take some of my QUAD HOOKS I use on my swimbaits and go back and forth 10,000 times with the sharp hook to see if I can leave a mark...If I can't mark it I will send you 100 bucks!

Thanks Matt!!

I was hoping you would chime in on this!! You post some awesome looking baits Bud, cleared with the automotive clear!! I bought a mini hvlp, simular to the one you posted, and it works great!! Havent invested in the full body suit yet, but I probably need to. I have been spraying out of my shop door, with 2 fans at my back, blowing the overspray out the door. I wear a 3m respirator while spraying the clear.

I havent fished the lures enough that I cleared with the Dupont Chromaclear to know about the hook rashing, but I would say stopping hook rash all together is probably impossible. Once I use it a while, I will make a post on how well it holds up.

Thanks Again Bud!!

Patrick

http://www.amazon.co...N/dp/B000N2TKVA

Tips:

I really admire your work there in Tator land, especially your foil work. I've been using the auto clear for a few now and I'm real pleased with it. I've also been foiling some baits...they have flat sides so they are pretty easy to foil. I don't do the top or bottom with foil...just blend the paint in and it seems to make sense for the shape of the bait. I actually take 400 grit and fine sand the edge of the foil to bring the edge down and remove any adhesive. The foil edges run along the sharp edges of the baits profile so its not much of an eyesore. I just apply the auto clear directly over the foil and it looks pretty good to me. Are you hitting them with epoxy to cover the foil edges or do you not like to lay auto clear directly on foil for some reason?

Again, really respect what your doing!

John

i just tried my first attept at spraying automotive clear today myself - i used ppg's shope line high gloss 2 part urathane i picked up at the local auto paint supplier ($40 for a quart of clear and 1/2 pint of hardener) - i sprayed it with an iwata eclipse HP-BCS (found out the "big mouth" bottles are solvent proof according to iwata's page) at 25 psi outside with a respirator borrowed from work - i am super pleased with the results so far - stunningly clear and nice sheen to it (3 coats) and i love how much thinner it is over the d2t as well as no need for a turner (i used d2t to glue clothespins to a scrap 2x4 for a dry rack)

i did learn a few things - gloves are a must from now on since i hold the lure in my left hand and spray with the right and that cleanup wasnt too bad overall - a lil more than normal from just createx but not much - i also left teh airbrush apart for about an hour to let the acetone fuly disspate before reassemly - i do think this is going to be teh way i go from now on for my top coats

I just started spraying auto clear this week on some plastic cranks that have been painted with createx. I put 2 coats on and let set overnite. I did a scratch test with my finger nail and the paint scratched right off. Im spraying acme clear coat and a medium hardner mixed 4:1 i got from NAPA. Im planning on putting 2 more coats on and do another test. What im asking is should the paint scratch off that easy with 2 coats, or should I let it cure longer? Im spraying with a mini hvlp gun. How many coats do you guys reccommend?

I just started spraying auto clear this week on some plastic cranks that have been painted with createx. I put 2 coats on and let set overnite. I did a scratch test with my finger nail and the paint scratched right off. Im spraying acme clear coat and a medium hardner mixed 4:1 i got from NAPA. Im planning on putting 2 more coats on and do another test. What im asking is should the paint scratch off that easy with 2 coats, or should I let it cure longer? Im spraying with a mini hvlp gun. How many coats do you guys reccommend?

I do a tack coat first, followed by three more heavy wet coats and its been holding up fine. My Dupont is snap dry and cures very quickly, I would think overnight, it should be fully hardened. See what the full drying time is on the label.

I have been making baits for a few years now . I use wildlife creations paints and have been using there high gloss clear used to make fish reperductions . I am looking for a better top coat . I tried the epoxi and the did ok but I dont have a dryer . I was thinking about the automotive clear I went to trade school for auto body repair so it won't be to big of a deal to me . I saw this on u tube I tryed to post a link but it won't work if you type in Austin Outdoors: Makin' Crank Bait . It's a top coat thick like epoxi but he just dips it in and hangs up the bait to dry . Does any one know what kind of top coat this is ?

I have been making baits for a few years now . I use wildlife creations paints and have been using there high gloss clear used to make fish reperductions . I am looking for a better top coat . I tried the epoxi and the did ok but I dont have a dryer . I was thinking about the automotive clear I went to trade school for auto body repair so it won't be to big of a deal to me . I saw this on u tube I tryed to post a link but it won't work if you type in Austin Outdoors: Makin' Crank Bait . It's a top coat thick like epoxi but he just dips it in and hangs up the bait to dry . Does any one know what kind of top coat this is ?

I certainly ain't no expert, but, going on what I have learned here on TU.....maybe it's a moisture cure urethane?

It is a acrylic lacquer that was bought from Napa

I have never seen a acrylic lacquer that thick ! We have a napa down the street so I will check into that as well thanks.

I have never seen a acrylic lacquer that thick ! We have a napa down the street so I will check into that as well thanks.

Or it is the A.L. (T75C15) from Sherman Williams. most S.W. do not carry it in their stores but they do have it! Right around $83 is what my local store told me.

James used this to protect his water based paint before applying the Napa A.L. as the napa AL is a stronger solvent base AL. than the S.W. AL. and the reason that I know this is because I have been his friend for over 20yrs and he helped to teach me how to build baits.

Jeff

On 7/14/2011 at 9:49 PM, Big Bass Man said:

What is the best airbrush to use for automotive clear coat? I have been using a Harbor Freight .5 siphon feed but not really pleased with the way it sprays the clear. I thought about going to a full size sprayer, but I would waste a ton of clear.

Patrick

So are you still using auto clear ... that's all I've ever used as I paint cars daily and recently started painting lures .... how do you feel about the auto clear for lures?