Lngnokr71

If You Had $200 To Spend

Ok so recently I bought a Master airbrush, and although it's ok, I feel I need an upgrade. I plan on painting baits for awhile and I'm sure I'll get better so I want a really nice airbrush. If you had $200 to spend on a brush which one would you purchase and why?

I bought a couple cheaper brushes before finally biting the bullet and getting the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH. It's a little over the $200 mark at around $214 plus shipping, but it's a great brush. The HP-CH has a 1/3oz. cup, but the Hi-Line series of brushes also come with either a 1/32oz. cup or a 1/16oz cup if you prefer the smaller cup sizes. It's a gravity fed brush which means you can use lower air pressure for shooting fine lines and details. It also has the MAC valve which allows you to make fine adjustments to the air/paint flow right at the brush. The Hi-Line series of airbrushes will accept either a .2mm or a .3mm needle and nozzle set-up. I bought the HP-CH with the .3mm needle and nozzle. The .3mm needle and nozzle sprays details as small as I need to spray and the larger cup allows me to spray base coats on several baits without having to constantly refill the paint cup. IMHO you can't go wrong by buying an Iwata airbrush.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Ben hit it on the nose.......The HI LINE CH will do everything you will ever want to do as for as shooting paint...and it is one of the top of the line Iwata airbrushes. And Ben sounds like he works for Iwata.........GO Ben....great job......Good luck on your venture....

Take care.....Brent

The HI LINE CH definitely sounds like a great brush and is under consideration. The Badger brushes also look and sound pretty sweet, has anyone had the chance to compare Iwata airbrushes to the Badgers and if so what did you think. Fleebay has a listing for a Sotar 20/20 for just over $200 new?

Edited by Lngnokr71

I use the same brush as Ben, the Itwata HP-CH, and I also use an Iwata HP-B. I've purchased both for less then $200 each. I use the CH more when I make multiple baits because it has a larger cup. When I make one custom bait at a time or if I really want to hit some fine lines and detail I tend to use the HP-B, since it has the .2mm tip. I like the smaller cup size as well, it's quick and easy to clean.

I've used Iwata and Badger brushes. My first brush was a Badger 155 Anthem. After I got an Iwata I have never used Badger again. Not sure about the Sotar 20/20, that is one brush I wouldn't mind testing out sometime. With my Iwatas I just like the feel of there action better, very smooth. The only thing I don't like about Iwata is the price of replacement parts, but even though Iwata is a bit more money I think they are worth it.

Edited by Fishsticks

No bad mouthing Badger or Paasche. I've used both brands and they have loyal users who paint better than I ever will. One thing I've learned is that airbrushing is 85% artist, 15% equipment. That said, if you look across all the models of all the manufacturers, no brand compares to the consistent quality and precision of Iwata. I use an inexpensive Iwata Revolution B with a .3mm tip and a HP-B+ with a .2mm tip and neither has ever disappointed.

No bad mouthing Badger or Paasche. I've used both brands and they have loyal users who paint better than I ever will. One thing I've learned is that airbrushing is 85% artist, 15% equipment. That said, if you look across all the models of all the manufacturers, no brand compares to the consistent quality and precision of Iwata. I use an inexpensive Iwata Revolution B with a .3mm tip and a HP-B+ with a .2mm tip and neither has ever disappointed.

I agree with BobP about the 85% artist/ user. It just takes practice, practice and more practice. I once worked with a guy who had an old worn out metal lathe. Even though the machine was old and wore out, Pete could turn out some precision pieces on that ole machine. Pete just used that machine so much he got to where he got to know the 'feel' and bumps of that machine. And that was before the era of CNC machine. He said just work with the machine until it become second nature.

I've got a long way to go with the airbrush thing but as I use airbrushing more and more I'm learning how the ones I've got behave. I don't get splats and runs as often as I use to. Besides the fish really don't care how pretty the lines are anyway.

Just to add the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH is what i have and it has really shortened the learning curve of what you can do with air flow and paint flow. I can now write my name with it and it looks like i did it with a pen. good luck with your choice but you cant go wrong with the HP-CH just like the others have said.

How much difference between the HP-C+ and the Iwata High Line airbrushes? I love my c+ but would like to know how much better the high-line series are!!

Patrick

I think the main difference between the two is the Hi-Line has the Mac valve. That might not mean all that much to a true airbrush artist, but for those of us that aren't that great, or are just starting out, it provides an additional way of fine tuning your air/paint flow.

Ben