Lngnokr71

Alternatives To S81

So I'm currently waiting for Dick Nite to email me back an invoice so I can get some S81. In the meantime what else will work that is more accessible? I saw on his site that he refers to a two part epoxy. I have some Blem two part epoxy that I use to install golf shafts, it's clear and sets in 5 minutes, will this work? Is there something I might be able to get at my local hardware store?

So I'm currently waiting for Dick Nite to email me back an invoice so I can get some S81. In the meantime what else will work that is more accessible? I saw on his site that he refers to a two part epoxy. I have some Blem two part epoxy that I use to install golf shafts, it's clear and sets in 5 minutes, will this work? Is there something I might be able to get at my local hardware store?

No, 5 minute epoxies will not work. You can't get them on a bait fast enough. They cure too fast to level out properly and will quickly turn brown with UV exposure. What you need is a slow cure epoxy. Devcon Two Ton is a 30 minute epoxy that is popular for lure topcoating. Ace hardware stores carry it. Envirotex Lite is another epoxy sold as a bar top finish or decoupage topcoating. Hobby stores like Michaels carry it. It cures very slowly and is thinner than Devcon, which is sold as a glue. I suspect many 30 minute epoxies can be used but I haven't tried them all. You can also use any of the rod guide thread epoxies, like Flexcoat. If you go with epoxy, you will require a lure turner so the epoxy will not sag while hardening.

Ok, so I ordered some 30 min clear Devcon 2, now I just need to know how to apply it. Do you brush it on and is there a certain type of brush to use? if brushed on does it leave a smooth finish or might you be able to see brush strokes?

Here is a link to Fatfingers tutorial. FF set the bar for us all regarding top coats.

Dave

Here is a link to Fatfingers tutorial. FF set the bar for us all regarding top coats.

Dave

Ok So I purchased some Envirotex and I just about ready to top coat, just had one last question thought. FF indicated that the heat gun will remove any air bubbles when mixed, so do you hit the lure after coatings with the heat gun and for how long and......... how long do you wait in between coats with Envirotex??

Edited by Lngnokr71

Ok So I purchased some Envirotex and I just about ready to top coat, just had one last question thought. FF indicated that the heat gun will remove any air bubbles when mixed, so do you hit the lure after coatings with the heat gun and for how long and......... how long do you wait in between coats with Envirotex??

Because you are using the envirotex, you may not have to use the heat gun, as you are leaving the mix to stand and thicken up (see final paragraph of the FF tutorial), the bubbles will likely escape by themselves. All you are trying to do with the heat gun, is reduce the surface tension and allow the bubble to escape. Keep the heat moving with quick passes. If you pause, you are likely to boil the epoxy and that is not good.

Probably best to remove the bubbles before application and then before the mix thickens up. The advice about a strong light, to examine for flaws and bubbles etc, is important.

Personally, I have never had a problem with bubbles. This may be due to the very humid climate where I live.

Top coating lures is about practice and experience, knowing how much to put on, if and when to deal with the bubbles, timing the mix, using the light to spot flaws. At the start, it may be an idea to make a few notes for reference.

Dave

I top coated my 1st two lures today and came to one conclusion, I need to make a lure turner. No exaggeration, I sat and turned the 1st lure in my hands for an hour and 1/2. Got to thinking that maybe I didn't mix the two parts of the E-tex long enough so after applying top coat to the second lure I continued to turn that lure in my hands for 2hrs before I could get it to stop running. Might I applied the top coat too thick or could it have something to do with the extreme heat and humidity in Kansas?

I top coated my 1st two lures today and came to one conclusion, I need to make a lure turner. No exaggeration, I sat and turned the 1st lure in my hands for an hour and 1/2. Got to thinking that maybe I didn't mix the two parts of the E-tex long enough so after applying top coat to the second lure I continued to turn that lure in my hands for 2hrs before I could get it to stop running. Might I applied the top coat too thick or could it have something to do with the extreme heat and humidity in Kansas?

That's just the nature of Etex. Whenever I use Etex the lures are left on the turner overnight.

Ben

Good, thought I might have done something wrong. I have Devcon 2 on it's way, what are the differences between the two?

Negotiate with your wife, she can watch Jerry Springer if she turns the lures at the same time :lol::lol::lol:

I have never tried Etex, I cannot get it in Indonesia, but it would be my choice, but yes, you need a turner. The beauty is that you can do more lures per mix. I can occasionally get my hands on D2T. Some builders have said that they coat several lures per mix with D2T, but I do mine one at a time. One coat of D2T is usually enough, as it is quite thick, you may find that with Etex, you need two or three. FF's gallery pics show that more coats look better, but I am only building for myself.

Dave

If you got away with turning an Etex coated lure for only 2 hours, you're lucky. Etex contains a solvent that helps it expel bubbles and level out but that extends its curing time. I bet one session of manual turning an Etex lure will encourage you to build a lure turner ASAP. Devcon doesn't contain any solvent and becomes non-sagging after about 45 minutes. When I first started out with Devcon, I coated a lure and hung it to cure, switching it head/tail every little while until it began to harden. Not very convenient but good results.

There are countless threads on TU about using epoxy. Use the search feature to learn the ropes.

Good, thought I might have done something wrong. I have Devcon 2 on it's way, what are the differences between the two?

Devcon is a glue that is used to join things. Etex is an epoxy that is used to make protective coverings for such things as bar tops, coffee tables and the like.