Kris

Airbrush Problems

Decided to do a good cleaning of my Iwata HP-CH so I disassembled and soaked in acetone overnight ( actually forgot about it :( ).

After cleaning I noticed 2 problems ...

1. AB is making a 'whooshing' sound around the valve piston.

2. MAC valve is hard to turn.

The AB is spraying well but have these 2 problems. Did I damage the o-rings in these 2 places due to leaving in acetone for so long?

Thanks.

I soaked my brush over night on accident before as well. I had to take my brush apart and clean it out with some thinner and a small pick. You can take the mac valve off with an 8mm wrench. I would check out the o ring in the valve after you get it off as well. I applied lubricant to a few parts on my brush and luckily my brush still works fine. I would say for a start just take it apart and have a look.

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

post-26098-0-16501800-1311102060_thumb.jpg

When I soak my brush I only submerge enough of it to cover the front end of it. That's where the paint is going to cause most of the problems. Paint shouldn't be getting into the back of the brush or into the MAC valve. If paint is getting into the back of your brush then the Teflon packing gland around the needle isn't tight enough. If paint is getting down into the MAC valve then the o-ring is bad on the valve stem. If it were me I'd tear the brush down completely and give it a thorough going over. Use a strong magnifying glass if you've got one and check for any bad spots in the o-ring on the MAC valve stem. Try tightening the packing gland around the needle to the point that it starts to grab the needle and then back it off just ever so slightly until the needle slides freely. I like to use Super Lube to lubricate my needle. My thinking is that I can tighten the packing gland just a wee bit tighter when using the lube than I can without it.

Ben

Thanks for info ....

AB is working great...just making that "whooshing" sound around the trigger / piston valve.

No air sound around MAC valve but I will go ahead an take it off and have a look.

I did notice that when I removed the trigger and pressed down on the valve piston you can hear the "whooshing" sound. The air is coming up from around the piston valve it seems.

One other question ... where can you buy replacement o-rings for the model of Iwata?

Edited by Kris

Thanks for info ....

AB is working great...just making that "whooshing" sound around the trigger / piston valve.

No air sound around MAC valve but I will go ahead an take it off and have a look.

I did notice that when I removed the trigger and pressed down on the valve piston you can hear the "whooshing" sound. The air is coming up from around the piston valve it seems.

One other question ... where can you buy replacement o-rings for the model of Iwata?

Sounds like the o-ring around the stem of the trigger piston has been damaged. I damaged the o-ring in mine one time by not being careful when putting the trigger assembly back together. Most online suppliers that handle Iwata airbrushes should also handle parts. I bought mine from TCP Global. They should have them at Coast Airbrush, Chicago Airbrush Supply, Dixie Art, etc. Wherever you get them from buy extras. They're cheap insurance if you ever have that problem again.

If no air is leaking around the MAC valve, and it's working properly, I wouldn't bother it.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy