motomania

Pourable, Buoyant Material For Making Hard Baits?

Just doing some thinking (scary, I know);) and was curious if there is some type of material/epoxy out there that can be poured into a mold, and when dries, is durable, paintable and buoyant?

-

I've carved a few swimbaits/wakebaits out of basswood and PVC. A few turned out great, others; pretty crappy. I actually tried to make a couple identical to each other; but they don't seem to float or perform the same as each other.:huh:

-

My thoughts were to make a mold of the ones that swam perfectly, and try to make a few very close duplicates. BUT.................here's the catch...................I would like the material to be able to be poured into a mold (before curing of course), be buoyant, and durable enough to attach hardware when finished. Does anyone know of any such magic material out there?:D

-

(I love working wih PVC millwork, so that kind of consistency of a products' end result would be ideal)B)

-

I'm just making these baits for myself, so when they're finished, if they're a little rough around the edges; that's fine with me.

-

If anyone even has any thoughts or ideas; feel free to comment!

-

Thanks in Advance!

Douglas ;)

Edited by motomania

You have two options: expanding foam (light) and casting resin (heavy). Both need to be cast in RTV molds.

Useful searches: 16Lb : expanding foam : alumilite : oomoo : microballoons

Dave

-

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I was after. I was thinking some type of resin; but the expanding foam idea is a good thought too!;)

-

I found some casting resin that is affordable, looks easy to work with, and it states will harden to a similar consistency as PVC. Here's some info they gave too, but it's a foreign language to me :huh: ; any idea if this stuff would be buoyant?

-

• Shore Hardness: 75D
  • Tensile Strength: 2700psi
  • Flexural Strength: 2700psi
  • Mix Ratio: 1:1 by volume
  • Color: Off -white
  • Work Life: 3 minutes
  • Demold Time: 7-10 minutes
Edited by motomania

-

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I was after. I was thinking some type of resin; but the expanding foam idea is a good thought too!;)

It all comes down to what density you want. If you are using heavier woods, then resin with microballoons is the right choice. If you are using balsa or basswood, then foam may be a better choice.

Both materials are very limiting when it comes to density, foam is 0.25gm/cm3 (16Lb/cuft), resin is minimum 0.7gm/cm3 (43.5Lb/cuft). This means if you are trying to copy anything inbetween these two, you are stuffed :D

Dave

Mixed viscosity: 100 cps (Almost water thin)

Color: Off White

Work life: 3 minutes@70F

Demold time: 7 - 10 Minutes@70F

Hardness: 75 Shore D (Very hard)

Flexural Strength 2700psi

Tensile Strength 2800psi

Dielectric Strength >400 volts per .001"

Specific Gravity 1.05

Specific Volume 26.5 cubic inches per pound

-

This may be more helpful, with specific gravity listed. Me thinks that means it is NOT buoyant?:blink:

-

But, power mixing may introduce air bubbles? And, if they suspend, that could aid buoyancy? (Some big IF's here):huh:

Edited by motomania

It all comes down to what density you want. If you are using heavier woods, then resin with microballoons is the right choice. If you are using balsa or basswood, then foam may be a better choice.

Both materials are very limiting when it comes to density, foam is 0.25gm/cm3 (16Lb/cuft), resin is minimum 0.7gm/cm3 (43.5Lb/cuft). This means if you are trying to copy anything inbetween these two, you are stuffed :D

Dave

-

Ooops, didn't see your reply there Dave.:P

-

I'm looking for something that would be a similar density to PVC millwork. Basswood was a bit too dense. I hadn't tried balsa though. And I stumbled on the ole PVC millwork stuff, and it was jjjjussst right!;)

I saw that alumilite stuff on makelure.com. Do you know a way to make a positive and negative mold for each side or does anyone know how to do that? I have tried searching for that but have not had any luck. Thanks

Tim

I think this is what you are looking for, an excellent tutorial by Hillbilly1.

Dave

Thanks a lot for finding that I must have been typing in the wrong searches to find that. Now if I could only find some time to try it.

You're welcome.

It is one of those subjects that is difficult to find with the search function. It was easy for me as I remembered watching the video and remembered the authors name.

Dave

There is a company called Smooth-On that make a product called Feather Lite. It says it floats in water. I have been wanting to try it but I am still making lures from wood. Maybe that would work for you. If someone has tried it maybe they can comment on it? http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1162/index.html

CLM

There is a company called Smooth-On that make a product called Feather Lite. It says it floats in water. I have been wanting to try it but I am still making lures from wood. Maybe that would work for you. If someone has tried it maybe they can comment on it? http://www.smooth-on...1162/index.html

CLM

I was trying to think of the name 'Smooth-On', but had a mental block, so I mentioned nothing. :blink:

The 'feather lite' has microballoons already added. Here is a link to the specifications page I find it very strange how they quote the density, in 'cubic inches per pound', this is not standard. I converted the number to Lb/cuft = 41.84 and in metric, density = 0.672gm/cm3 (so I can understand it). This density is the equivalent of beech and is fairly heavy.

Thanks CLM.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Our Hobby Lobby had the Alumiliate Casting kits, so I picked up one of those (with a 40% off coupon too!:D ) and I'm gonna stop by the hobby shop tonight and grab some (a bottle?) microballoons.

-

I guess the trick will be to get the correct amount of microballoons mixed in, for the buoyancy/density I'm after. Hopefully tonight/this weekend I can mess with it. (fingers crossed);)