bassin1997

Wood Sealer

CA Glue then a coat of Etex. Or sometime I use a durable paint like Varathane in Color (thinned) before I coat it with Etex. If I coat with etex alone I'll thin it first then give it another coat. First coat is to seal it and to fill up the grains, next one is to smooth it over so I have a smooth canvis to work on (no grains showing).

How do you thin out etex. And is etex the same as

Envirotex?

Etex is Envirotex. They tell you in the manual how to thin it for sealing fresh wood. Can't recall what they suggest but I've used regular rubbing alcohol to thin it when it was to thick for at the end of coating a bunch of lures and it seemed to work fine. Didn't measure just added a bit and mixed.

Denatured alcohol should work. If I remember right rubbing alcohol had some water in it. There are different percentages too. I would look for the highest percentage rubbing alcohol if I couldn't get denatured.

A tip I learned from a mentor: If you haven't tried a technique before, learn and practice on a scrap piece. If it gets screwed up its now big deal. At least you haven't ruined you masterpiece. When you get the technique down then do the real piece. Less frustration that way.

I would use denatured alcohol if I had it on had, this is most likely what Etex recommends. Only reason I use rubbing alcohol is that I have it on hand for cleaning my brushes and it has worked in the past for thinning Etex with no noticeable repercussions. FYI I've only used it to thin Etex on my last coat.... If you used rubbing alcohol to thin on your first coat with water based paint you may have an issue (may not since water base doesn't bleed quick like solvent base does).