kahawai

Weighting A Prop Bait

i'm coming back to lure making after a rather long break. right now i am working on a double prop(one in front and one at the rear) woodchopper style lure and need some advice on weighting.

does anyone have advice on the "best" way to ballast this type of lure to achieve maximum splash? i was thinking that the lure need to be lay horizontal with the hooks on(incl rear hook) with the props lying exactly on the water surface film. however my kitchen sink test shows that this results in a rather light lure. i was wondering if i am being a little too obsessed with getting the lure horizontal and getting the props to lie at the surface? basically my question is - would a heavier, tail heavy, prop under water lure throw up more splash, and fish better?

IMHO I would make one as a sacrificial and use a small screw eye with X amount of weight attached to it and just move it forward or backward till it set level but this isn't fool proof the center of gravity will be below on the bait witch may change the stance when the X amount of weight is incorporated in to the body. The best thing that iv found to do guesstomations on ballast was the storm suspend strips and dots put them 2/3rds down from the top on both sides till you got it the way you want then weigh the strips/dots and put the same amount of lead in the same area.

Edited by hillbilly1

You will experience lift when you reel in so making the props sit level with the water may not be ideal. This means you could make the rear end heavier which will benefit in casting and potentially fish catching. Too light of a bait and the lure will be more apt to blow out of the water during a fish strike. Finally too light of a front end and you may experience too much lift.

That being said I've found all styles of prop baits to be very forgiving.