Terrydabassman

Is it possible to thin Devcon

Is it possible to thin Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy?

Sometimes when I top coat a lure it develops an air bubble but you cannot see it when its wet, only after it's well on its way to curing.

I've also had spots where it looks like "I missed a spot" but has separated from itself and I have to go back and redo.

I was wondering if any of you have a tried and true method of thinning it a little.

Thanks,

Terry

You can thin Devcon with rubbing alcohol but it isn't necessary. The bubbles may be coming from the way you mix the Devcon. Watch the Devcon while you stir it and you will note it goes from clear to milky white and then to clear again. Stir slowly making sure you get all the edges and take your time. The "spots" are because you aren't putting it on heavy enough. Put the stuff on heavier and any bubbles simply brush out. Hold the bait at an angle to the light and you will be able to see any spots you have missed. Devcon is very easy to use once you get used to it. Hope this helps.

Jed

I am having a similar problem with the top coat becoming very thin on the edges of my flat sided cranks. is this due to applying the top coat to thin or do the edges of the lures need to be rounded off? I was also thinking of thinning and applying two coats to each lure. Any suggestions or ideas.

I am having a similar problem with the top coat becoming very thin on the edges of my flat sided cranks. is this due to applying the top coat to thin or do the edges of the lures need to be rounded off? I was also thinking of thinning and applying two coats to each lure. Any suggestions or ideas.

Devcon will crack sometimes on sharp edges. Just touch the edges with a piece of fine sandpaper and you won't have a problem. You don't need to get aggresive, just touch them. If you are using too stiff of a brush to apply Devcon you can thin it in spots. This along with dirt and oil from your hands can cause the separation. Also not thoroughly mixing the two parts will cause this problem. You really don't want to thin it if you are using it for a final clearcoat. You can apply as many coats of Devcon as you feel are necessary. However, since it is resin based it will add weight to the lure. If you weight your lures close this could be a problem. A good coat of Devcon on a 3 inch lure weighs about 1/16 of an oz.

Skeeter

All good advise listed. If you need a thin coat of epoxy, you need to use a product designed for that application like Flex-Coat Lite. Those "missed spots" are from trying to spread it too thin or putting it on while it is too runny. Let it set up a bit before you apply it. I stir with old blunt aluminum knitting needles. It makes a difference!

Party Crasher has something with the knitting needle thing. I have read that stirring epoxy with wood can cause bubbles. I put it on as soon as I mix it. You just have to keep using it and you will get the hang of it. It is a process that has to be learned no matter what you use for a clearcoat.

Skeeter