Cormorant Lures

Presto Pots

First off, this post is NOT meant to bash any company or product... I called Bear's today looking for a couple complete Presto Pots... I am getting slammed with orders and need the pots as soon as possible... He said he sold 17 pots this week and only had 15 motors in stock!!! If I ordered two pots they would not be sent out until Monday afternoon... I was really hoping they would get sent out today... Odds are I probably don't have any other choice... I know I could make one myself, but I want to make sure they are made correctly so I wanted to buy them from a professional...

My question is: Are there other companies out there making complete Presto Pot systems (including the stirring mechanism)?!? I am heavy into pouring Stik Baits and need all the help I can get!!! Thanks!!!

King Cormorant

do yourself and customers a big service and buy them already made from bear. i made the mistake once of buying one used from someone elses design and motor and it wouldnt stir the gelled up plastic until it had thinned down some. ended up buying all the CORRECT parts from david and now own 5 of them 3 with stirrers and love them all!!

First off, this post is NOT meant to bash any company or product... I called Bear's today looking for a couple complete Presto Pots... I am getting slammed with orders and need the pots as soon as possible... He said he sold 17 pots this week and only had 15 motors in stock!!! If I ordered two pots they would not be sent out until Monday afternoon... I was really hoping they would get sent out today... Odds are I probably don't have any other choice... I know I could make one myself, but I want to make sure they are made correctly so I wanted to buy them from a professional...

My question is: Are there other companies out there making complete Presto Pot systems (including the stirring mechanism)?!? I am heavy into pouring Stik Baits and need all the help I can get!!! Thanks!!!

King Cormorant

wow,

must be you and your wife got the stuff figured out..

good luck.

wow,

must be you and your wife got the stuff figured out..

good luck.

A buddy of mine that I work with and have known for years hooked me up with a tournament fishermen who also drives truck for a local freight company. I gave him three bags of bait last week to try out in this past weekend's tournament. He didn't place in the top 3, BUT he won biggest fish ($500.00) and limited out only using my baits. He called me on Monday to tell me the good news and wanted to know how well my stix worked for him. He has now jumped on as part of my so-called "Pro-staff" and has been selling my baits to the MASSES!!! My step-dad is a huge tournament fishermen and so is my wife's best friend's step-dad. With all this exposure, it's been hard to keep up with just Pyrex and a microwave. I need to move on to bigger and better equipment. Like I said earlier in the post, I am sure I will end up buying Bear's setup(s), I just wish I could get them sooner!!! :(

A buddy of mine that I work with and have known for years hooked me up with a tournament fishermen who also drives truck for a local freight company. I gave him three bags of bait last week to try out in this past weekend's tournament. He didn't place in the top 3, BUT he won biggest fish ($500.00) and limited out only using my baits. He called me on Monday to tell me the good news and wanted to know how well my stix worked for him. He has now jumped on as part of my so-called "Pro-staff" and has been selling my baits to the MASSES!!! My step-dad is a huge tournament fishermen and so is my wife's best friend's step-dad. With all this exposure, it's been hard to keep up with just Pyrex and a microwave. I need to move on to bigger and better equipment. Like I said earlier in the post, I am sure I will end up buying Bear's setup(s), I just wish I could get them sooner!!! :(

until you get the pots use a 2- cup pyrex.

maybe you do ??

but a 2 cupper makes a good batch of 5"

who's molds are you using for the sticks ?

until you get the pots use a 2- cup pyrex.

maybe you do ??

but a 2 cupper makes a good batch of 5"

who's molds are you using for the sticks ?

Like Bass-boys said you can use a cup . I quit pyrex and all that because now and then they shatter . I wen to the flea market bought a kiln dried fired ceramic cup with a very sharp pour spout for 2.00 , Haven't had a problem yet and the sharp spout sure helps because I'm not as steady handed as I used to be.

• Like 1

order on friday shipped on monday. not bad if you ask me. i pour 1000`s of bait`s with pirex and a micro wave but i have been doing it for years.

i don`t know anyone that makes a pot as bear. it`s worth the wait. but not much of one really. :sauced:

Bears all the way. The guy that strted making them long ago stopped. I have the stirring sytem from Bear and it is the BOMB!!!!! Worth the wait and you will be able to crank them out so fast you will catch up quick.

Look back in the posts. If you can get a helper, you can run on both side of the pot and really make some sticks. Dual ports... I believe the member that started the Presto pot deal was MBroggi or something like that. His set-ups were posted here.

Jim

the 2 type pots you are asking about are different and I can not says whats better.

Bears will get hot enough to remelt plastics,,

if you are remelting,,,

yes you want a stir.

it takes a lot of used plastics to make new baits.

I would just use a micro wave to remelt,, unless you have a big big pile of them..

also.

remelting is touchy,, a lot of guys will not do it.

If I remelt, I always add new fresh uncooked plastisol to them..

the 2 type pots you are asking about are different and I can not says whats better.

Bears will get hot enough to remelt plastics,,

if you are remelting,,,

yes you want a stir.

it takes a lot of used plastics to make new baits.

I would just use a micro wave to remelt,, unless you have a big big pile of them..

also.

remelting is touchy,, a lot of guys will not do it.

If I remelt, I always add new fresh uncooked plastisol to them..

Thanx bass-boys that helped me decide .. I have some of bears new plastic but been putting old stuff in the microwave practicing. I hope the new plastic works better with my injectors when i use them . The remelted stuff makes a mess, its easier to pour out of the measuring cup.

thanx again , i think i will order me a pot..

Ok I received my Presto Pot and Stirring system from Bears, put it all together and tried them out today... I need some tips on how to use them properly for pouring stick baits... I tried pouring at cooler temps (300 - 330 degrees) and I tried pouring at hotter temps (360 - 380 degrees)... Cooler temps seemed to pour really thick from the spout and clogged up my sprues on my molds A LOT!!! Hotter temps seemed to give me more dents and air pockets (not micro-bubbles) in my baits... I was having a real hard time pouring consistent baits... Out of a four cavity mold, I was lucky to get two good baits outta four... It was a rough day to say the least...

Do most of you run the stirring system all the time pre-heat and post-gel?

What is the procedure most of you use for adding your ingredients and at what part of the process?

For those of you who pour at cooler temps, how do you keep the plastic from clogging your sprues?

A big part of my problem is the fact that if I cannot figure out why my baits are not coming out of my molds consistent... The dents, and air pockets KILL my production BIG TIME... It gets to be very discouraging!!!

Basically I am asking for some general presto pot instructions from anyone who has used one successfully (including the bears stirring system)... Any answers A.S.A.P. would be wonderful!!! Thanks!!!

KING CORMORANT

dents are caused by there not being enough molten plastic in the sprue area or the sprue cools off before the bait gets fully formed. when you pour the cavity full and top off the sprue the bait is still hot and will draw hot plastic down because as it cools it wants to expand and if the sprue cools off too fast it has nothing to draw from. as for air pockets those are all usually operator error always pour straight down the middle, when you move from side to side or off center you stand the chance of trapping a bubble. i pour sticks when i used to pour before i discovered the huge production gains with injection above 325 and went as fast as our 16 molds would let us.

i would add colour and softener (if applicable) first, turn on the pot and the stirring system, when you think its ready hit it with an IR Thermometer and check the temp, if its there i would add salt slowly, then flake and scent. let it run a few min and check the temp again. once its where you want it start pouring, the first little bit would be a wad of salt in the nozzle, so i would crack the valve with a cup under it, once clear i would start filling molds. every time you stop to demold you will have to clear the valve as the salt will settle in there.

always check the temp with an IR Thermometer, the temp controls arent the greatest for accuracy. i tried to pour sticks around 330 checked with the thermometer.

Thanks for the help guys... I poured two batches this morning from the prestos with MUCH BETTER success than yesterday... Poured at a cooler temp and had way more consistent bait results... The only thing I am seeing in the baits are lines that run up and down the sides of my sticks from time to time... I am about 99% sure the lines are not from the mold... Not sure what to make of them, but they are way easier on the eyes then big dimples and air pockets... So far so good... I have a pretty hefty bait shop order to get out within the next day or so... Love those types of orders... They make me smile!!! :) Thanks again!!!

King Cormorant

those lines are from pouring it a little too cold. they will disappear when you heat it a bit more. just rememeber that an IR thermometer doesnt give you an accurate reading unless you are only running a couple of inches of plastic in the pot. once you get it up to half full there will be waves of hotter plastic and cooler plastic towards the center.