bassin1997

Weighing Lures

Some guy drill holes in the bottom of there baits and hammer lead weights into them...I drill holes in the bottom of my baits and pour melted lead in. How much lead and how big a hole depends on the size of the bait and what you w t it to do...Nathan

Many hobby guys and most custom builders ballast their baits with pre-made belly weights that have the hook hanger molded into them. I weigh my ballast weights and epoxy them in drilled holes. You can pour molten lead into a hole but I've had 2 problems doing that. First, it's hard to be sure that the lead you want in the bait will fit in the hole. Second, pouring hot lead into a wood hole chars the wood and makes for a very iffy bond. Slap a bait on the water and the ballast can shoot through the bait's finish and ruin the bait (ask me how I know!).

I use 1/4" lead wire, glued into drilled holes, to ballast my baits.

For me, it's fast, easy, and clean.

The wire weighs approx. 1 gram per 1/8", so it's pretty easy to get the right amount of ballast once I've done a test float.

I put different weight split shot or egg sinkers on the tines of my lure's trebles, until I get the bait to float and/or sink at the angle and rate I want, and then measure out the same weight in the lead wire. If it's a lot of wire, I cut it with a drywall knife into smaller lengths, and drill multiple ballast holes in approx the same position that the test weights were located.

I glue the weights in with a drop of crazy glue over the top after they've been inserted into the lure.

I drill 1/4" holes, slightly reamed, so the weights fit snug, and I've never had one come loose. I have to drill the lead out if I want to remove it.

I use 1/4" lead wire, glued into drilled holes, to ballast my baits.

For me, it's fast, easy, and clean.

The wire weighs approx. 1 gram per 1/8", so it's pretty easy to get the right amount of ballast once I've done a test float.

I put different weight split shot or egg sinkers on the tines of my lure's trebles, until I get the bait to float and/or sink at the angle and rate I want, and then measure out the same weight in the lead wire. If it's a lot of wire, I cut it with a drywall knife into smaller lengths, and drill multiple ballast holes in approx the same position that the test weights were located.

I glue the weights in with a drop of crazy glue over the top after they've been inserted into the lure.

I drill 1/4" holes, slightly reamed, so the weights fit snug, and I've never had one come loose. I have to drill the lead out if I want to remove it.

Hey Mark,

Where are you getting your lead wire?

Ben

Hey Mark,

Where are you getting your lead wire?

Ben

I bought it at Cabela's a few years ago, in a 5lb spool. But they no longer carry it.

I bought it instead of trying to melt the lead myself because I don't want to fool with melting lead anymore. I used to do it when I was younger, to make surf sinkers, out of plumbers lead I got off the job. I also used to do my own brakes. That was before the dangers of lead and asbestos were common knowledge in this country.

Here's a funny thing I learned when I went to lead abatement school recently.

Lead was outlawed in paint in this country in 1978, but it was outlawed in Germany in 1922, when they saw the health problems that lead miners were having.

So it was known in Europe that lead in paint was a danger for a long time, but our country kept putting it into paint, and causing who knows how many children to be retarded, until 1978.

No wonder people in this country don't trust either industry or the govt. that's supposed to regulate them.

Edited by mark poulson