RiverMan

Installing Straight Lexan Lips

Not sure how you guys are cutting out or installing your lips, but this might possibly help. I make templates of the lips on light weight cardboard material about the thickness of a business card. A center line is drawn on the template and the lip is layed out working from the center line. Before laying out the lip on whatever material is being used I put a couple strips of blue painters tape on it. The template is then used to layout the cut lines making sure to transfer the center line onto the blue painters tape. The lure blanks also have a center line drawn around the circumference of them using a divider. This aids me in hook eye placement as well as drilling holes for ballast. When I get ready to install the lip I just eyeball the center line on the bait with the center line on the tape. The tape will have to be removed on the part of the lip that slips into the lip slot, but there is plenty left to get good alignment. Hope this helps.

Ben

Not sure how you guys are cutting out or installing your lips, but this might possibly help. I make templates of the lips on light weight cardboard material about the thickness of a business card. A center line is drawn on the template and the lip is layed out working from the center line. Before laying out the lip on whatever material is being used I put a couple strips of blue painters tape on it. The template is then used to layout the cut lines making sure to transfer the center line onto the blue painters tape. The lure blanks also have a center line drawn around the circumference of them using a divider. This aids me in hook eye placement as well as drilling holes for ballast. When I get ready to install the lip I just eyeball the center line on the bait with the center line on the tape. The tape will have to be removed on the part of the lip that slips into the lip slot, but there is plenty left to get good alignment. Hope this helps.

Ben

Thanks Ben, this is essentially how I am doing it now. The only strange thing I find about this method is once it all looks straight, if you then look at the lure from the top, bottom, from the end, etc., at some angles it looks crooked. I'm not sure if it's just tricking my eye or what but it definitely doesn't look straight despite the fact that the lines are telling me it's straight.

Dave,

I forgot to thank you for finding that link for me.........thank you!

Jed

Edited by RiverMan