bass2

Hot N Tot Lure Bodies

Nope.  I'm pretty sure you're right with that assumption.  At least I've never found any with anything else to them.  They are one of the few store bought baits I've always had consistent success with on multiple species.  Bass, walleye, pike, freshwater drum, love them around here. They dig deep, have a great wobble and I''ve never had a fish throw one.  I went to Rapala/Storms website and in the FAQ they state quite clearly they don't sell blanks so that option is off the table.  

I'll end up making up some similar styled blanks myself sometime this spring (need some new tools to do so).  That is, after I get all my soft plastic poured.  I'll just have to decide upon a suitable wood.

• Like 1

Those are great performining lures. A lot of people say that the original Storm Hot N Tot perform better than the new ones. Would you know if the clip that they use for the line tie, is available off the shelf. It reminds me of a leader component. Looks like a fun build.

Don

I haven't had to look for that lip clip yet but I hope they are.  I also thought those clips looked like some sort of leader component.  Haven't had a chance to get through all my Hagens catalog but if recall, there were some larger snaps a person could modify a bit if the other clips are unavailable.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  

As for the older hot-n-tots outperforming the newer ones.  I haven't noticed any differing rates of productivity.  I think the new ones run run a tad different though I cannot quite put my finger on what that "different" is.   All I know is they are fairly consistent producers for me.

I know Producers made a knockoff version that actually wasn't too bad.  Had a few of those too and caught fish on them.  I checked out their website and shot them an email to see if they just sell blanks.  Will let everyone know what their response is.

• Like 1

Mark,

I think a person could switch the slip wire attachment to the other slot if they wanted but I can't recall ever seeing anyone do that.  I know I've never done that.  Now thats got me thinking I should do that to a few of mine and see how it changes the lure action.

Still no response from the Producers website.  I'm just going to assume that they aren't interested in selling blanks.  No biggie.  I'll get around to making some blanks of my own when I get some more equipment for my shop.  Figure I can use the Hot n Tot body as inspiration and maybe come up with something a bit different.  I know I wouldn't mind having some with rattles,

We'll see.  I have too many irons in the fire right now and with temperatures finally getting back to normal, my fishing season is just about here.  Trout, pike, walleye and largemouth.