Jump to content
New Guy On The Slammer
3 replies to this topic
Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:00 PM
i recently started building my own swimbaits and had some good luck so far. right now im working on an ms slammer type replica. i hate to copy other peoples lures
but im interested and attracted to this type of lure.has anyone attempted this feat before and came out succesful? i would like to know some basic stuff like total lenght, lenght of segments, and
of course ballast placement.
Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:43 PM
Its not too difficult to build. I would use a light wood like cedar or poplar....maybe basswood. You want it to be buoyant as its obviously a wake bait. No two weigh the same really because they're built from wood. The slammers are good productive baits but this design was predated by the ac minnow which was predated by ....well you get it. The slammer tail is maybe unique and you can play with the tail options. The key is to get everything cut and laid up straight. Use lexan for the bill as acrylic will break. Play with the bill angle too, I like some at 45 degrees for more wobble and 90 degrees for a real water pusher. The slammers at about a 75 degree angle.
Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:37 AM
It is pretty hard to screw up a slammer bait. The toughest thing is the lip placement. No balast needed either. The weight of the hooks and hangers will take care of it. I used popular and had a guy turn them on a lathe to get the right shape. Although an easy bait to build it still takes time. The problem with building/painting topwaters is nobody ever looses them so its hard to make some $$ working on them. I'm still throwing an original slammer I bought 6 years ago.
Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time guys. My version of the slammer
Is just about complete. I primed it yesterday joined it and took it for a soak in the bath tub, not ideal i know. I put on all the hardware and and started to do some sweeps across the tub. It floats fine ofcourse but didnt swim
At all. I ended up taping 1/16 split shots to the front and rear close to the joints and added more until it began
To swim in a decent S motion. Still more testing to come.