kbbaits

Hired Help

Thinking about having some hired help pouring baits but it seems like a major task. With all the competition out there I dont expect good replies. But those of you out there that do have hired help are you making enough to make it worth it? Im's are welcome. Thanks KB.

KB – here are just a few thoughts on the subject. If you are selling enough product, that you cannot keep up with demand and the demand is ongoing, not just a temporary peak, then I would say that you need help and could afford it from the profits too. If you cannot meet customer demands and they have to wait, then you will lose the customers.

Your employee is going to want regular work, full time or part time. Occasional work during peaks is just going to be problematic, irregular practice could lead to mistakes and even accidents.

I am sure there is legislation that employers must follow, do a few searches and seek proper professional advice. At the very least, you should take out insurance for your employee and make sure that he is provided with the correct protective clothing and equipment. If he/she gets hurt and sues, it is game over for you.

Dave

KB – here are just a few thoughts on the subject. If you are selling enough product, that you cannot keep up with demand and the demand is ongoing, not just a temporary peak, then I would say that you need help and could afford it from the profits too. If you cannot meet customer demands and they have to wait, then you will lose the customers.

Your employee is going to want regular work, full time or part time. Occasional work during peaks is just going to be problematic, irregular practice could lead to mistakes and even accidents.

I am sure there is legislation that employers must follow, do a few searches and seek proper professional advice. At the very least, you should take out insurance for your employee and make sure that he is provided with the correct protective clothing and equipment. If he/she gets hurt and sues, it is game over for you.

Dave

if you have someone in there that doesnt quite understand what is needed quality wise in the end product how much is that going to cost you? you have to worry about someone elses idea of a quality bait. safety liability etc... you will have to decide if it is worth the risk. me, i would be looking at ways to make my process more efficient thus spending less time making the same amount or more baits.

I cant ever get sales to stabilize enough to hire some one, one week I may be running around like a crazy man pourin and then the next week nothing. If you have enough work to keep another guy busy good for you! If I can ever get it to a constant level I think I would reconfigure myself and my shop to be as effective as I could ever be, then if that wasnt enough I may look to add some one but it would be somone with experience workin with hot stuff. Most of my friends are welders so a steady hand and heat is somthing we are all use too.;)

Just a thought, I see many small hand pour operations with what they call "pro staff" well why not put a new spin on it and have couple local guys work for your product you know like a temp hire I'm sure some would appreciate the opportunity to help out with the reward of some of your product in return. Not sure about your work load but just having someone de-molding has to be a big help in production and certainly a good way to keep a pulse on what fishemen are looking for in your product.

Find somebody who is retired and into fishing, them use them as an outside contractor and not an employee. They can then invoice you for work done and most retired people are happy to work as they are needed. This saves a lot of headaches when it comes to actually have a member of staff on the payroll. Go onto a local bass fishing forum or club and ask around, you should get somebody who wants to help.

Here's the up-side to having extra help pouring. I read somewhere that women make the best pourers because they are used to working in kitchens(measuring. mixing, etc)

Having them work piece work is the way to go(you have final say on quality) as well as having them as sub-contractors. That way you don't have to mess around with tax deductions, workers comp etc. It's up to them to report to the taxman what they made.

Might also have them sign a lawyer prepared release form to protect you from the taxman as well as injury.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

i might be the pitchman for our company but my wife and her sister are the true creators of alot of our custom colors that people come to us looking for plus they both like to fiswh and have been around tackle and know kind of what people are looking for. i can copy anything people put in front of me to see but these 2 are awesome together and 1 of their labors is free!!

2 words..........CONTRACT LABOR.

sub it out to someone and just pay for the baits they make. leaves you with none of the employee headaches ,payroll, payroll taxes, workmans comp., etc. All you have to do is send them a 1099 at the end of the year. Better yet, if all you are doing is buying baits and they are buying all the materials and such then it's no different than you buying off a distributor. You don't even have to pay excise tax as that is then their resposibility.

Otherwise, do like stated above and figure out ways to produce more baits with less work and do them yourself.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I've been in the same situation in a part of my business that has nothing to do with the sporting goods side. I can't hire employees as I don't have enough consistant work for them, yet have enough at times that I can't do it without......henceforth contract labor.

Good Luck whatever way you decide!