Sign in to follow this  
ravenlures

Type Of Wood

4 posts in this topic

BobP    832

I've occasionally used white cedar and it works fine but it has a more pronounced grain than basswood and I find it hard to hand sand it to a smooth flat surface that will not show wood grain. The nominal densities of white cedar, red cedar, and basswood are 20, 24, and 23 lbs/cu ft respectively - so they are similar in buoyancy. Red cedar has red oil in it that can bleed through a finish. There are several commercial crankbaits made from white cedar, including Stanford and Poe's, so it's a viable choice. But basswood is easy to shape and sand to a buttery smoothness that is ready to finish.

ravenlures    75

I've occasionally used white cedar and it works fine but it has a more pronounced grain than basswood and I find it hard to hand sand it to a smooth flat surface that will not show wood grain. The nominal densities of white cedar, red cedar, and basswood are 20, 24, and 23 lbs/cu ft respectively - so they are similar in buoyancy. Red cedar has red oil in it that can bleed through a finish. There are several commercial crankbaits made from white cedar, including Stanford and Poe's, so it's a viable choice. But basswood is easy to shape and sand to a buttery smoothness that is ready to finish.

Thanks that is my choice I never used White Cedar and don't like Red Cedar, so for me its Basswood for surface and I like to use Maple for some deep divers. I was just looking for other choices. I guess stick what works for you.

mark poulson    1,700

If you orient the grain right, it can enhance the lure, like a built-in scale pattern.

I use to use douglas fir a lot, and it has hard winter grain, so I learned to live with grain telegraphing through the paint job, rather than use fillers and a ton of sanding to hide it.

Edited by mark poulson