capt mike

Foil Details

Can anyone explain how the Japanese Foiled baits are detailed with the scale etched lines? I've seen the cross hatch pattern in baits such as Evergreen swimbaits and wonder if anyone has done this with any success?

Don't Know about the Japanese styles, but here are some good suggestions...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/22338-scales-in-foil/page__p__166757__hl__%2Bfoil+%2Bscales__fromsearch__1#entry166757

Capt Mike,

The pattern that you are referring to can be duplicated with a piece of threaded rod (ask for "all-thread" at the home improvement store). Roll the threaded rod diagonally across your foil and then change directions and roll it again. That will give you a perfect "cross-hatch" pattern. TIP: Examine your threaded rod for any flat spots or other imperfections as these will transfer to your foil when you roll it. TIP2: Use a piece of a board to roll the threaded rod with. It will let you apply more pressure and let you roll longer or wider pieces.

Gene

I've seen special scale embossing rollers for taxidermists somewhere on the internet, for around $50. Too rich for my blood. You can probably get a company to produce silk screened scale pattern foil if you're building thousands of lures. We hobby builders usually settle for something we can make in the garage, like rolling various sized/shaped knurled handles over our foil baits. For average size bass baits, I like the little knobs on Vise Grips.

I've seen special scale embossing rollers for taxidermists somewhere on the internet, for around $50. Too rich for my blood. You can probably get a company to produce silk screened scale pattern foil if you're building thousands of lures. We hobby builders usually settle for something we can make in the garage, like rolling various sized/shaped knurled handles over our foil baits. For average size bass baits, I like the little knobs on Vise Grips.

Mac-Z-Scaler looks good if it had a more oval or oblong shape

I foung a tut on custom scale roller at the bottom of the page

Edited by hillbilly1

The Japanese DIY lure makers actually cut the scale lines one by one on the foil with a blade,either before sticking the foils and doing it after the lure is foiled. There's some very good tutorials online but I do not have the links handy at the moment. Will post them if I remember to look for it when I get home.