allstate48

Different paint

I need some help. I've been using Createx paint, and just not happy with the covering. So I went to Hobby Town, and bought some Pactro Racing Finish,acryl. It's made by Testor. My problem is, it doen't clean up with soap and water. I use soapy amonia, with the Createx, and have no trouble. If this dries, I'm in trouble. It says to use water, and if dries to use solvent.Is there anything else, I can use?We are 85 miles from anywhere, and no solvent. Thanks Doug

If you can't get any solvents like acetone, MEK, or lacquer thinner then finger nail polish remover is probably the next closest thing. Richoc is telling you right on this. It has acetone in it for a base. Water based acrylic is tough to clean. I have used this type of paint before and I know what you mean by it just not cleaning up. You just have to keep at it. Sometimes you may have to use some type of brush to get the gun clean. I really don't like using it for that reason. I have trouble thinning it properly also. It is probably just me, but I have a hard time with it. If you want to use water based paints other than createx, try water based latex enamel ( regular house paint ) Lots of colors and easy to clean with hot soapy water in an old butter bucket. The only draw back to this paint is that it takes a long time to dry completely between coats. Thin it with water till it drips consistantly off of the stir and shoot it at around 18 psi. I did this for years and had very good results with it. It's cheap and a pint will last you for the year. This is also the best stuff to dot eyes and stuff with even over lacquer.

Skeeter

You can do that, BUT and I say But, I would reccommend against it. Unless you can mix it up well in the. In the cup you must really mix it well for the consistency of the paint to work well. Some paint can get under the flow and not get mixed OR some of the thinner can get under there and not get mixed. The problem I have had is that I didnt do a good job mixing because of this and I was shooting thin, from too much thinner, thick - not enough.. to just right. Consistency was a problem for me doing that. Now I just use a small cup to mix in; like the souffle cups. Its like a dollar for like 500 of them or so. Thats a lot of mixing cups and its disposable if need be. But that is my reccommendation! Save yourself some headaches and frustration! Because I have had them doing that!Cody

Sorry Allstate, I was confused from the last post you had. I am a child from the peace love and Jimmy Hendrix 60's era! Too much "good times" running through my veins! lol! I thought you were talking of THINNING your paint and mixing it in the cup. Sorry, but yes I do run cleaners through my cup and shoot them but you must make sure all the solvent is out of the gun before adding paint or you will get inconsistent results. I flush the gun in some water after solvents and after paints. I keep flushing it with warm water till I get a free flow with no color! Be careful of running solvents through cause that is spraying fine particles of chemical mist into the air... that you will breathe. But heck, I have breathed in so much second hand cigarette and Reefer smoke from my past .... whats a little solvent! They might cancel each other out... :P Cody

What kinds of problems were you having with the createx? I shoot it almost exclusively, and it will usually clean up fine with a mix of water and dishwasher detergent. I like simple green and a toothbrush to clean the color cups and polish the needles.

You might try some rubbing alcohol on the pactra paint. It works on some of the water based paints.

I'm sorry it took a week to reply. The only thing I have against Createx, in my opinion, it doesn't cover as well as I like. Maybe it's me. I went to acrylic, for the clean up.I paint in the baesment, so I like the no smell, and fumes.I took a little Lacquer thinner, and it cleaned right up.I'm still using a single action. I'm afraid to use a double action, for fear I couldn't get it clean, or back together. It just stays new in the box. Thanks all for the help. Doug