capt mike

Using Barrel Swivels For Hook Hangers

Sorry, I just found the thread on swivel hook hangers. It did not come up at first . Anyway, I have already made a big bait with two heavy swivels and pins inserted into the body to catch the top ring. I also placed epoxy in the hole to seal it and it works fine. I only partially filled the hole and the epoxy did not hurt the swivel motion. However, that lure was made with two layers and was split when I assembled the pins and swivels. This time my lure is from solid stock. My question is, will the epoxy hold without the pin ?

Edited by capt mike

Capt. Mike,

Where did you find the swivel hook hangers?

I use Spro swivels. I drill a hole that's the size of the swivel body, pinch one of the end loops so it will slide into the hole, put a couple of drops of gap filler crazy glue into the hole, making sure it hits the sides on the way in, and force the swivel in.

I make sure I don't put so much glue in that it gets into the swivel body.

I use a drill bit with a depth mark on it, so the hole is just as deep as the swivel with the pinched end, and that way I can use the same number of drops of glue and not worry about ruining the swivel.

I've tried to remove one that did get frozen after the glue set, and wound up breaking the wire hook hanger portion because the swivel wouldn't come out, so I don't bother to pin them.

I build with Azek PVC decking, so I can't say if that would apply to wood baits.

Mark, I also used Spro swivels. Bending the top eye to make it fit in the hole is what I needed to hear for my next project. I would think the bond would be just as good on wood. Crazy glue gap filler is a new one on me. I'll have to look out for that. When I applied epoxy on mine, I periodically turned the swivel so that it would not set inside the swivel. They work fine, but i'll never know if the epoxy would hold since the brass pins are there just in case.

Capt. Mike,

Zap make the gap filler glue. They also sell an accelerant spray, so you can get it to set up fast once it's in place.

I use it for my swivels, once they're in place.

I keep my baits turned with the swivels facing up, and let them sit for half an hour, to be sure the glue down deep is set and won't leak back into the swivel itself.

I can't imagine epoxy failing. If you're using D2T, that stuff is super strong.