Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigjohn4583

Lure Drying Prototypes

5 posts in this topic

This website right here will do fine, and the search feature is your friend.wink.gif Search for "drying wheel", and you should get about four pages of posts related to your question.

For starters, here's one good thread on this topic with lots of pics: Rotating Lures when Clear Coating.

Edited by Fishwhittler

Key to everything... KEEP IT SIMPLE...

pic is worth a thousand words so...

12106dry 022.jpg

Basic materials go a long ways and keep costs at minimum...

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

12106dry 022.jpg

post-11316-0-09452600-1313347808_thumb.jpg

I assume you're talking about a lure turner, not a lure dryer, per se. Lure turners are very individualistic, just depending on what you need. You want enough positions on the turner to hold the maximum number of lures you finish at one time. You want a rpm between 1 and 12. The motor needs to be powerful enough to turn the mass of the frame and the lures without working too hard. Most guys prefer an A/C gear motor of some type. Other than that, the design is pretty much open to anything you can scrounge, screw together, or buy. There is no wrong way to do it as long as the lures get rotated and the topcoat doesn't run or drip. My turner has 6 positions, turns at 6 rpm, and is driven by an a/c disk motor similar to what you would find in a microwave turntable. Made from a piece of 3/4" pine shelving, a piece of 1/2" dowel as an axle, some short 1/8" dowel spokes epoxied into the axle, and some alligator clips stuck on the spokes. It's compact and fits on a shelf in the garage.

My turner lives on top of the refrigerator, but I live alone, so it is allowed.

wheel.jpg

Dave