harley80

Homemade Electric Trolling Motor

Anyone ever try to build an electric trolling motor? I have seen them on Youtube built using an outboard bottom and an electric drill for the power. I seen an episode of Swamp People where one boat was using an outboard that had a long shaft that was put into the water at an angle and the user stood up to steer it. I am not sure what these are called. But I got to thinking the same thing could be done using a shaft off an old weed-whacker and a propeller and a drill motor. Maybe even an old battery powered weed whacker and a propeller. I was just curious as to whether anyone had experimented with making their own electric trolling motor?

Anyone ever try to build an electric trolling motor? I have seen them on Youtube built using an outboard bottom and an electric drill for the power. I seen an episode of Swamp People where one boat was using an outboard that had a long shaft that was put into the water at an angle and the user stood up to steer it. I am not sure what these are called. But I got to thinking the same thing could be done using a shaft off an old weed-whacker and a propeller and a drill motor. Maybe even an old battery powered weed whacker and a propeller. I was just curious as to whether anyone had experimented with making their own electric trolling motor?

The Briggs Etec electric motor has been used with an outboard lower unit for several electric projects. One of the first (and fastest) was done on a Glen-L Diablo hull. The long tail swamp motors may have anything from a weed whacker upto a 16 horse work motor on the top end. There is an outfit selling longtail kits on Ebay. Assemble and add your own motor. And yes there are a couple guys who have just thrown a prop on the end of a 2 stroke weedwhacker.

All of that being said, what is your goal? If you just want cheap propulsion for a small boat get an umbrella. For just a little more you can get a ready to clamp on small electric trolling motor. If I recall Minn Kota and Motorguide both have one for under $100 and Sevlors can be had for about $70. Or watch Craigslist for a good used one for less.

The Briggs Etec electric motor has been used with an outboard lower unit for several electric projects. One of the first (and fastest) was done on a Glen-L Diablo hull. The long tail swamp motors may have anything from a weed whacker upto a 16 horse work motor on the top end. There is an outfit selling longtail kits on Ebay. Assemble and add your own motor. And yes there are a couple guys who have just thrown a prop on the end of a 2 stroke weedwhacker.

All of that being said, what is your goal? If you just want cheap propulsion for a small boat get an umbrella. For just a little more you can get a ready to clamp on small electric trolling motor. If I recall Minn Kota and Motorguide both have one for under $100 and Sevlors can be had for about $70. Or watch Craigslist for a good used one for less.

Actually,I have an electric trollong motor I picked up on Craigs list. Was just looking to see if anyone had tried to make one on their own. I have seen the longtail kits on eBay,but just got curious about the variations that could be dreamed up to make your own. Hey,it never hurts to experiment and with winter soon to nip at our heels,it sure beats setting on my rear in the house!

I made an electric outboard out of a old electric go cart but it was hard to balance out and at full throttle it made the loudest racket and would shake the hole boat. It was a 24v motor and the run time at full was only 45 mins. but I hit 7.2 mph on the GPS and thats fast in a 12 jon using Tesla power IMHO . You can find the elec. carts or pocket bikes at a yard sale for cheep. The lower was a weed wacker cut down and I used a old transom mount from a minn kota that just fit the shaft . Any who it was a fun build and I got to play with junk.:blink:

I made an electric outboard out of a old electric go cart but it was hard to balance out and at full throttle it made the loudest racket and would shake the hole boat. It was a 24v motor and the run time at full was only 45 mins. but I hit 7.2 mph on the GPS and thats fast in a 12 jon using Tesla power IMHO . You can find the elec. carts or pocket bikes at a yard sale for cheep. The lower was a weed wacker cut down and I used a old transom mount from a minn kota that just fit the shaft . Any who it was a fun build and I got to play with junk.:blink:

Now there is a power source I never thought of!!! Thanks for the info. Thought this would be an interesting winter project with the grandkids. Hell,I wonder how it would work as an ice-fishing auger??