Vodkaman

Firefox Problems

Is anyone else having problems with FF?

I have installed 5.0.1 it hangs every 5 - 10 minutes, when I select a bookmark. Hang lasts about 30 seconds :censored:

If my cursor passes the history button, FF hangs, 30 seconds :censored: I don't even have to click history for this to happen :censored::censored:

Watching videos is a dead loss. The picture hangs, but the sound continues :censored:

Someone needs to have his :censored: chopped off.

I had to edit this post twice, to remove all the naughty words :censored:

Dave

Thanks DC.

I could not wait until tomorrow, so I installed the V6 beta version.

Video was better, but one of the three videos that I tested did hang.

Cursor over the history button has been fixed.

I then tried a few bookmarks, the main problem. IT HUNG, no change. Unbelievable how stupid these people are. It is not like I am the only one having this problem, the message boards are full of it.

I now have a spell checker following me around, like a piece of gum stuck on my shoe. I will have to find the switch for that.

I will try the official release tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I will have a decision to make: IE of GC. A bit like choosing between cabbage and sprouts.

Dave

I'm not a computer whiz by any means, but here's what I think. As software companies are adding more and more bells and whistles to make their product seem more appealing it takes more and more resources (computing power) to run all this stuff. This might not mean much if you buy a new computer every year or so, but to those of us who tend to keep things, such as computers, for extended periods of time it can mean the difference between a fast, well performing computer and a sluggish one that takes forever to load the programs we want to use. Everyone is trying to come up with browser software that is impervious to malware, hacking attacks, viruses, etc. And all of this stuff tries to start running as soon as you press the power button. Some of it can safely be turned off by accessing the Startup tab in your System Configuration. The more items you can safely turn off the faster your computer will boot up and run. If you don't know what a program in the Startup tab does you can just Google it and find out and then decide whether it's safe to turn off or not. This should give you a few more "horsepower under the hood" to run the programs you want.

Ben

Ben - thanks for the input. Good suggestions, but I really do not want to start messing about with the start file and stuff. I am just not that computer literate and would be afraid of deleting the wrong thing. I just do not have the funds to pay someone to come in and bail me out.

I have just installed IE8, what a PIA that was. It took about two hours with all the updates, flash downloads, then more MS updates, transferring bookmarks etc. Installing FF takes about ten minutes. I am starting to remember why I left IE in the first place, it is much slower than FF, but at least it all works, including the videos. I will check FF in a few weeks, to see if they have solved the problems, as I want the speed back.

I concidered Google chrome, but seems a lot of users are not happy with it either. So many bells and whistles, my head is spinning. Why don't they bring out a bog standard system, for those with older computers and just leave it alone. I don't mind a few security updates, but I just don't use all this stuff. I click a favorite, read and write the occasional post. Someone is going to realize this and clean up.

Dave

Ben - thanks for the input. Good suggestions, but I really do not want to start messing about with the start file and stuff. I am just not that computer literate and would be afraid of deleting the wrong thing. I just do not have the funds to pay someone to come in and bail me out.

I have just installed IE8, what a PIA that was. It took about two hours with all the updates, flash downloads, then more MS updates, transferring bookmarks etc. Installing FF takes about ten minutes. I am starting to remember why I left IE in the first place, it is much slower than FF, but at least it all works, including the videos. I will check FF in a few weeks, to see if they have solved the problems, as I want the speed back.

I concidered Google chrome, but seems a lot of users are not happy with it either. So many bells and whistles, my head is spinning. Why don't they bring out a bog standard system, for those with older computers and just leave it alone. I don't mind a few security updates, but I just don't use all this stuff. I click a favorite, read and write the occasional post. Someone is going to realize this and clean up.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I can understand you not wanting to take a chance on screwing something up. That's how I learned about a lot of this stuff. I spent more time seeing what made my first couple of computers work than I did actually using them. And let me tell you I certainly screwed up enough stuff that I eventually learned to fix things. If you decide to change your mind let me know and I can walk you through it. It's fairly simple. Just a matter of unchecking a few boxes. And if your not sure what everything in the start up programs does just do a screen capture (pull up what you want to capture and press "Prt Scr". {print screen} on your keyboard. You can then copy and paste what is showing on your screen to a photo editing program and save it as a photo file. Then just send the file to me and I can give you a run down on everything that is trying to turn on and run when you press the start button. There are a lot of programs that check for updates everytime you turn your computer on. Adobe, printer software, etc. This is the sort of thing that eat up a lot of resources and can be done manually. If you can remember to make yourself do it. Anyway, if there's anything I can help with feel free to ask. You've sure helped me enough in the last couple years.

good luck,

Ben

I've run every version of FF since 2.0 (5.0 and 6.0 most recently) and have never had any video problems. Then again, all I do with video is play it. I update my Flash player and FF via automatic downloads and so far, so good. Computers are getting darned complex. I quit trying to understand them a decade ago.

I switched back to FF yesterday and the problems seem to have been sorted out. IE was killing me, painfully slow.

I have used FF since my computer engineer recommended it as a solution to my speed problems. I won't be so quick to take up FF's offers of upgrades in future. If it works, don't fix it.

Dave