CNC Molds N Stuff

Rigging And Fishing The Curly Buzz Frog (cbf)

I wanted to see if a curly tail as opposed to the kick tails or buzztails used by some of the big boys would swim and kick nicely for a buzz frog. I think the Curly Buzz Frog meets that goal nicely as shown by this video. I did reduce the depth of the hook slot after the first round of baits, and I am considering recutting the mold as with a deeper body, but this version does seem to work.

Just FYI: I have been working on this design for a couple months. I think I did the first crude layout on it back in late May of this year. I actually got the idea while I was working on the heavier thicker curly tail for the Ribbed Flipping Grub that would still move from just the fall rate of a light texas rigged worm weight. I thought, "If I can get it to move from the fall, it should work great when being waked or swum." I am considering a swimbait body grub with the same tail, but I have an idea for another craw I want to work on first. I also want to play with another jerk bait idea. hmmm...

Just FYI: I have been working on this design for a couple months. I think I did the first crude layout on it back in late May of this year. I actually got the idea while I was working on the heavier thicker curly tail for the Ribbed Flipping Grub that would still move from just the fall rate of a light texas rigged worm weight. I thought, "If I can get it to move from the fall, it should work great when being waked or swum." I am considering a swimbait body grub with the same tail, but I have an idea for another craw I want to work on first. I also want to play with another jerk bait idea. hmmm...

I had considered this frog for my designing a bait video,

Making a Fishing Bait

From original concept to fishing

... but I had already done quite a lot of work on this concept before I considered using this bait for that video. Besides I know the bait I want to use to make that video now.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Well, after fishing it several times now I have decided I need to give the belly a substantial redesign. I'm going to give it more of boat hull shape. I think I will only have to recut the bottom plate though so I might have it done in a day. It swims and fishes fine the way it is, and obviously draws strikes, but I have found it retrieves upside down a lot more often than I would like unless I rig it just right. Some might think that's no big deal since one of the most popular buzzfrogs (The Zoom Horny Toad ) retrieves upside down a lot, but I was hoping to do better.

Eventually I'll make a new video for this bait. The new one has a thicker more rounded body. The guys who have tried it have mixed feelings about it so far. Each seems to have some little thing they think would make it better. Most everybody likes the legs in general. One thinks they shoiuld be further apart. Another guy thinks it should be made with harder plastic.

Its been used succesfully on pike and largemouth so far.

I have made some floating versions, and in general I don't care for them. The floaters do require faster speed to kick. I also made some seperate leg molds so I can make the body floating, and the legs regular. This is OK, but still not ideal.

Since the video I have found that it seems to fit a 4/0 hook better than a 5/0. Also, the floating verisons will not float a 5/0 superline hook, but they will float a 4/0. They will float a lighter 5/0 hook, but I think a lighter hook may cost you some fish if you are fishing this on heavy line. I tend to prefer 17 lb mono. The same line I use for buzzbaits.