MikePaintsBaits

Dick Nite S81 & S82

Since the S82 is water borne, I'd guess it would be similar to other water based finishes and the S81 would be OK with it after is it fully dry. That's no guarantee, just a guess. My concern is this: S82 is an oxygen cured finish and unless you plan on letting it sit for 9-14 days before applying the S81, I'm wondering if it would ever get a chance to cure after application of the S81. Uncured S82 is about as weak as a coat of acrylic paint and if left uncured, IMO it would be a waste of time. Personally, I would just apply a single coat of S81. That's all I ever do now and have zero topcoat failures. I have some Target Coatings finish similar to S82. I use it to protect a garden bench in my backyard :lol:

Hey All ,

Some time ago I ordered S81 & S82 , I sent several emails to exchange the S82 for another S81 , but no reply's. So here's my question ???

Can I use the S82 & after its dry , sand lightly & then use the S81 for my final clear coat ???

Thanks

Mike P.

Mike -

That is wierd - I think I remember replying to at least one of your emails saying that we could swap... Oh well, email me again and we'll get it done. No use trying to use something you don't really want!

Or, call me - 800-324-5651 (Usually Wednesday to Friday is best - Monday and Tuesday are hell-days...)

Dick

How many coats of s81 can be applied? I mainly saltwater fish and need a little more tooth protection from the sea critters . About 99% of my lures are suspending jerk/twitch baits and etex changes the sink rate a little more than I like. Was going to order some DN a while back but the timing was not good and with that discount I don't think I'll wait any longer. Sorry not trying to steal the thread, just curious. Thanks .........Joe

If you are painting plastic baits and want a see-through finish, I recommend painting with Createx acrylic "transparent" colors, with no base coat added, then simply applying a single coat of Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane clearcoat (aka Fishermun's Lurecoat). This clear will soak into amd through the acrylic paint and bond to the underlying plastic body to give you a very durable finish. Pretty simple!

• Like 1

Joe, you can use multiple coats of DN S81 if you want but personally I don't think it will give you enough extra protection to be worth the effort on a plastic bait. Nothing but a thick coat of epoxy has been enough on saltwater or trolling baits to protect against toothy critters or hook rash in my experience. DN is very tough stuff but it is a pretty thin coating, even 2X. On plastic, DN is as close to a tough factory finish as anything I've found. Just spitballing here, but if the bait is wood, several coats of DN might give you enough thickness to equal one coat of Devcon Two Ton epoxy - if you can get it on the bait without it bubbling.