milrtyme24

Venting Question

do you have a lowes or home depot close by lots of things can be special ordered either in store or online

Thanks again for all the info guys, I have a lowes close and a home depot about 35 miles away. I will figure something out will all the info everyone has given me I really appreciate it. My winter project is going to be how to learn to build a website, my plans are to maybe start selling this coming spring, offer about 6 or 7 different styles off baits and get some good colors going but this is off in the near future, I just plan on trying to make a little money on the side or atleast break even on this hobby that seems to get more exspensive each day :unsure: , but Im having fun and you guys are a great help. Im 44 years old and my computer skills are not up to par do you guys think I ought to take a class this fall to learn more about web site building or do you think there is enough info on the internet, sorry to get off topic i was just thinking how good everyones website looks and I have no clue as to how to build one and then you got security issues but Ive got plenty of time for that. Probably should start another topic on that.

Thanks,

Milrtyme

we had a website but it was a pain to maintain and we actually do more is sales without it than we ever did with it. we are back to making 4000+ baits a month and have standing orders from 2 retailers with multichain type shops so this is my point sell off of a website but you cant beat selling it yourself face to face

Revisit:

OLD post i know!... But good subject, safety 1st right?

I know its frowned upon by many to melt plastic/lead in your house... But i (as well as many others here) dont have a garage, wish i had a grand or two set aside to build a shed, but even if i did im sure the wife could find something better to spend it on...

So... Im turning our laundry room into my new work space and Im faced with a serious ventilation issue... Our AC intake is near said room and the room has no door, its more of a hallway

I plan on doing it all in this compact space... In addition to pouring plastic, ill be carving wood baits and flirting with the idea of PVC.. And eventually lead/wire baits...... So dust is a concern as well

My solutions:

- removable plastic curtain to isolate the room from AC intake

- segregated/partitioned work bench (one side for plastic/lead, other side for carving/painting)... Plastic side under a hood, semi fabricated from appropriate sized ducting available at Lowes, air flow from squirrel cage motor (possibly purchaced used from HVAC service) to outside (via wall or floor??)... Carving side and a hanging paint booth plumbed via PVC piping into shop vac (thanks Vman!)

My questions:

- is the partition over kill?.. Would the dust shorten the life of my fan if i used it for both "sides"?

- would venting via floor be a safe alternative to cutting a hole in the wall (its a mobile home, so there is space underneath)

- if no to previous, is there a pre fab "flapper" or specialized vent for this application (to keep unwanted air/creatures out when not in use)

- will the negative pressure affect the performance of our AC unit being in close proximity?... Assuming i vent via wall, would an "air supply vent" in the floor be a productive addition?... "Cirulation vs negative pressure"??

Thoughts? Approval? Disapproval??

Thanks!

JR - the partition is not overkill and necessary I think.

There will be a build up of dust on the fan, but a good clean once a year should stop it from overheating. Fans do not last forever, but I had no problems with mine.

I don't see a problem with venting through the floor. Perhaps a very slight reduction in efficiency due to back pressure.

This is basically a tug-o-war between the AC and your extractor. If you provide an air supply vent in your work space, you cancel out your negative pressure and the AC will win and draw in dust. The partition really helps here. Your negative pressure is going to draw air around the edges of the partition. Applying the laws of path of least resistance; the AC will not compete with this and draw air from the rest of the open house, even if your fan was not as strong as the AC unit.

Keep an eye on the partition, as long as it is bowing into your work space then you are good. If it bows out towards the AC then you need a rapid re-think.

Dave

The idea behind the partition was to further isolate plastic/lead fumes, no where to go but up..... I forgot to mention the idea of a 2nd fan pulling through a filter for the "dust side", but then were talking 2 holes instead of one.... Wouldnt be an issue if floor venting is sufficient

I would buy a cyclone to be honest as easiest solution to get a product that definitely works.  So many that make them end up making several or modify it often to get it to work best as they can be effected by little changes builders often skim over as good enough.  I have yet to see a small set up but am in the process of trying to build one (future home...likely trash can).  

My shop is small so I use a Rockler Dust  Right and have been very surprised with how well it works.  Its foot print isn't the smallest but much smaller than typical Theil builds/top hats.   I would personally most likely get the Dust Deputy if buying another or maybe the Clear Vue if needing to stay small foot print.  Can also mount the vacuum sorce/blower on the wall with an appropriate small micron bag in tandem with the cyclone.  Lots of threads on the subject on several wood working sites as a very popular topic.  Hundreds of builds of Theil set ups and dos and don'ts.   

Good review and about the smallest set ups going.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/cyclone-separator-shootout/

Clear vue update.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/clear-vue-mini-cv-06-update/

Edited by Travis

This is what i came up with for my venting solution... Its 6" ducting with a 12" x 4" duct boot for an inlet... An inline duct fan claims to provide 240 cfm, the 2' x 2' x 2' box leaves 8 cubic ft of space by my math... I didnt do the equasion above, but i belive this to be sufficient....

Hope this helps someone!... Im sure happy to have it!!!!

QuickMemo+_2015-06-26-19-25-46.png

post-46331-0-86204800-1435364976_thumb.png

• Like 1

If I recall correctly 100 cfm (minimal) per horizontal square ft.   You also should have equal make up air for it to function properly and proper duct work to handle it properly.   

To be honest you would likely be better off putting a decent box fan in a window and setting up on a card table with a shroud build over it front of it.  Use hinges and plywood and you can fold up your hood and put it away when done.

• Like 1

240 cfm (if the fan does what it claims) ÷ 8 cubic ft = air in box replaced by fresh air from the room 30 times per minute... Which i think is irrelevant since hot fumes have nowhere to go but up (into inlet)... Dont have a window in my laundry room anyway, so this will have to do

If I recall correctly 100 cfm (minimal) per horizontal square ft.   You also should have equal make up air for it to function properly and proper duct work to handle it properly.   

To be honest you would likely be better off putting a decent box fan in a window and setting up on a card table with a shroud build over it front of it.  Use hinges and plywood and you can fold up your hood and put it away when done.

100 cfm is what I see thrown around but that might not correlate to our application.  I will check at work on Monday and see what our hoods are set at.  Some use the square footage foot print and other set cfm to reach a certain volume of the hood space turnover rate.

Edited by Travis

JR - I did the same calculation.

Screw up some paper, light and create some smoke. This should give you some idea of the effective range of the extraction. it will also show how the extractor is competing against the A/C unit.

Dave

Smoking in our house is a no no (but the wife is still out of town)...

Standing half way between the box and the AC, smoke pulls toward the box, some goes in some rises to the ceiling

Standing in front of the box, most goes in

Blowing into the box, nothing escapes!

Also worth mentioning, i only spent $40 on the whole set up

In fact, i ended up under budget for the whole work space... $200 was my max, i spent exactly that, but ended up with a new shop vac that wasnt planned (but too good of a deal to pass up!!!)

Edited by JRammit

I know that most everyone uses a mask while pouring, but I sweat to death, and can't see what I'm doing with it on. So what Iv'e done is I have a small window, and I set my bench up in front of it. I have a box fan setting in the window, and turn it on high. My microwaves are setting just to the side of the window, When I pull out my plastic the fan is drawing the smoke off the plastic and out side. The one problem I do have is when it is a real windy day, most of our wind comes toward that direction, toward the wall with the fan in it. So some days, I can not pour.

Do you think that what I'm doing is safe? Or should I still have to wear a respirator. I know I am not the only person on here that don't use one, or am I?

Like to here your opinion. I very seldom smell anything.

Thanks

Ive never worn one, but i only pour for myself... My guess would be it depends on the amount you pour....... If i were making and selling thousands of baits a day, i would definitely invest some of that money back into a ventilator!.......... But i rarely make more than a dozen baits in a night, so i feel safe

• Like 1

I wear a mask when working with wood. Living in an equatorial climate, I understand the sweating part, and wearing a mask was unbearable.

My life changed for the better when my brother introduced me to his ventilated full face mask. It has a battery powered blower fan which draws air in through the filter and is actually cooler than without the mask. Also, there is enough room to wear my specs.

Dave

• Like 1