Ken-Spin

Melting Plastics In Acetone - Not Propionate Pellets

I have been trying to work with foam and have tried to read everything here about sealing the lures. A good cost efficient way seemed to be melting plastic in acetone and dipping the lures All posts on this subject seem to be 3 or 4 years old, so does anyone use this anymore. One post mentioned a new and better method. I also saw something on recycle codes but can't find it.

I have 3 jars working.

#1 acetone with a clear plastic knife broken up in it. It has been sitting for about 3 weeks on my desk. I shake it every day and it looks some what a lava lamp. I have a glob of soft plastic at sinks to the bottom.

#2 I have a quart glass wide mouth jar with the red seal removed in the lid. It contains 1 oz of broken up white plastic knives (B) into 12 oz acetone. It has a little different consistency than jar #1 but has not melted into the acetone either. The consistency may be due to the white pigment. I was hoping to seal and color. This jar has been mixed for about 2 weeks.

#3 This has the same jar set up as #2 with 12oz acetone with 1 clear cd case broken up into it. It has the same clear blob as #1. This jar has been setting for about 10 day.

I dipped a foam lure into jar #3, 14 dips and all I can see is that I gave it a good acetone bath. I really didn't see any plastic coat at all.

I have access to the above plastics and have read that all of the above work.

What am I doing WRONG. If you have done this with success would you be so kind as to help me.

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed read that thread.

New Acetone, 2 different cans from different stores and different sizes, quart & gallon, but same brand. Also purchased within 30 days.

There was a similar discussion recently. The author did not report back, so we do not know what the conclusion was. Again, I suspect the acetone has diluted itself with moisture.

Dave

Seems far fetched but will have to check on the moisture thing. I think I may give up on the foam. I just poured a few test RC-3's from the same mold and hoping I don't have as many of the same problems.

Do you prime RC-3 lures or can I just wash in soap & water then hit with white Createx?

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed read that thread.

New Acetone, 2 different cans from different stores and different sizes, quart & gallon, but same brand. Also purchased within 30 days.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your material choices. The CD case should definately have worked, as they are made of polystyrene. After 14 dips and no sign of a coating, you definately haven't overloaded the acetone. Other than condensation and overloading, I cannot think of anything. Sorry for your frustration, as you don't seem to have done anything wrong. If it is the condensation thing, you will have been very unlucky, buying from two different supliers.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Thanks again for the reply. In all that I have read it seemed so simple. I am trying to determine if the unlit lava lamp I have 3 of was correct and I had missed something.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your material choices. The CD case should definately have worked, as they are made of polystyrene. After 14 dips and no sign of a coating, you definately haven't overloaded the acetone. Other than condensation and overloading, I cannot think of anything. Sorry for your frustration, as you don't seem to have done anything wrong. If it is the condensation thing, you will have been very unlucky, buying from two different supliers.

Dave

Thanks again for the reply. In all that I have read it seemed so simple. I am trying to determine if the unlit lava lamp I have 3 of was correct and I had missed something.

I have tried unsuccessfully to melt high density polystyrene and I think that may be your problem. White polystyrenes are typically high density and the clear styrenes are low density. I have melted low density PS. Not sure what your application is, but try ABS glue from the local hardware store. ABS is 85% polystyrene and 15% butadiene (rubber) and the glue usually suspends the mixture in a blend of acetone and MEK. You can dilute it down with more Acetone and/or MEK depending on how fast you want it to solidify.

I recall a formula that would use the clear plastic cups broken up in acetone that could be used as a plastic-type coating. I have it around somewhere, I just have to find it....lol Or could you use polystyrene (styrofoam) melted in acetone?

Edited by bassguy

Are you talking about the styrofoam like in a cheap cooler??

I recall a formula that would use the clear plastic cups broken up in acetone that could be used as a plastic-type coating. I have it around somewhere, I just have to find it....lol Or could you use polystyrene (styrofoam) melted in acetone?

Are you talking about the styrofoam like in a cheap cooler??

I was thinking about the styrofoam that you find in stereo packing, maybe the same stuff.

I found the formula but it is for sealing wooden baits prior to paint. Sorry.

They use the 3 ounce white solo cups and lacquer thinner.

Edited by bassguy

I was thinking about the styrofoam that you find in stereo packing, maybe the same stuff.

I found the formula but it is for sealing wooden baits prior to paint. Sorry.

They use the 3 ounce white solo cups and lacquer thinner.

I tried melting styrofoam in acetone and while it melts almost instantly it just formed a big white blob and sunk to the bottom of the jar. No amount of stirring would break the blob up.

If you have some old, clear plastic crankbaits that aren't worth restoring they melt nicely in acetone. I broke a couple old baits up into small pieces and soaked them in a jar filled with clean acetone. It took a day or so with occasional stirring to get them into a solution, but once there the mix has never tried to separate.

Ben

I did read some stuff on the net that was a chemistry experiment melting packaging pellets. One type would not melt, one type would not.

I tried melting styrofoam in acetone and while it melts almost instantly it just formed a big white blob and sunk to the bottom of the jar. No amount of stirring would break the blob up.

If you have some old, clear plastic crankbaits that aren't worth restoring they melt nicely in acetone. I broke a couple old baits up into small pieces and soaked them in a jar filled with clean acetone. It took a day or so with occasional stirring to get them into a solution, but once there the mix has never tried to separate.

Ben

The key is getting Klean Strip Extra virgin lacquer thinner because It is much "hotter" than the others. Check out this old post...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/5028-calling-all-plastic-melters-need-help-with-dip/

I dont really use this anymore as I think it is inferior to other methods but if it helps you out and you like it then my job is done. Also I used plastic drinking cups to melt down.

Ben

Tried the same with same result , .............I had read somewhere , that plastic coffee cups(the kind from slot machines) would work , ....but since they've switched the slot machines at my work to paper cups recently I haven't had a chance to gather some for another try , ...don't wanna buy them !

greetz , diemai :yay:

I use thinner and polystyrene (cd covers, white and clear cups) with great success. When you buy the cups look for the recycling symbol on the cups and it should have PS inside. Sometimes the wrapping, if its made of plastic will have other letters, so you have to look at the cups themselves. I have 2 jars with my mix, one thinner one for the soaking of the bait, and one a bit thicker to build/smooth. I dont use virgin thinner tho...

Michael

Try to melt Table tenis bals. Most off them ar still made out off Celluloid. It melts quite fast, livig you with great stuf for sealing wood. Hard but still flexibile.

To test Celluloid you can burn it, it burn rapidly with no ashe.

By ading Titanium oxide ( Stuf that painters use for wightening canvas) solution will bee snow white and ready for painting

Funy part is that it smels yust like old rapalas

Sry on my bad English

clear solo cups will dissolve into acetone. HOWEVER, you have to try a few different ones. I had some solo cups that were translucent clear and these worked just as well as propionate pellets. I tried a few other types of cups (all solo brand), reds, crystal clear and they didn't dissolve. The solo cups that did work reminded me of the small plastic cup you would get from a fast food place if you wanted "water" instead of soda... if that helps.