RayburnGuy

Spraying Flake

I looked in the archives and the only thing I found was that some folks are using Createx clear to mix their flake in to spray it. I've used both thinned D2T and Etex to spray flake with, but it worries me that I might end up with a needle epoxied in my airbrush if the cleanup isn't 100%. I've also tried mixing it with Pledge Future and it was so thin the flake wouldn't suspend in it. I've also used thinned DN S81 to spray flake with, but no longer use DN since I switched to clear coating with auto clear. Are there alternatives to using Createx clear that might be found locally or do I need to order the Createx clear? What about the base that hardware stores mix the pigment in when mixing paint? Is it clear and would it work if it was? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys,

Ben

Ben since your using an automotive clearcoat, you might try whats known as intercoat clear....I use the SG100 from House of Kolor....Its a clear medium thats designed to be used for spraying flakes and pearls....Its also what I mix the candy concentrates with to create my transparent colors...You mix it 2:1 with a reducer for most applications, but often something like 1:1 works better for airbrushing.....Thankfully Its not real expensive, cause I use alot of the stuff....lol.

Ben since your using an automotive clearcoat, you might try whats known as intercoat clear....I use the SG100 from House of Kolor....Its a clear medium thats designed to be used for spraying flakes and pearls....Its also what I mix the candy concentrates with to create my transparent colors...You mix it 2:1 with a reducer for most applications, but often something like 1:1 works better for airbrushing.....Thankfully Its not real expensive, cause I use alot of the stuff....lol.

Just as the name implies: intercoat- use finish clear on top of it. Gives you time to complete artwork multi-color basecoat when it can't be completed in the window of time that ensures proper adhesion between basecoat and clearcoat

Edited by KcDano

Thanks KcDano. I had the suspicion that's what "intercoat" implied. Just wanted to make sure

Mike I looked at Paasche's website and didn't see a "62 sprayer". However the ultra fine flake I've been spraying works great sprayed out of my Paasche VL with a #3 or #5 tip.

thanks again everyone,

Ben

Thanks Michael. Does the intercoat clear take the place of the auto clear that I'm spraying now for a top coat or do I spray the stuff I'm using now over the intercoat?

Sorry for the delay in my reply Ben.....and it looks like KcDano correctly answered the question for you already....No it does not take the place of a topcoat clear....Use it to mix dry pearls,flakes,candies or marblizers into...also can be used as a sealer or barrier to prevent bleeding of colors......but since it does not use a catalyst it does require that you apply a catalysed topcoat clear over it.

ben what are you using to spray your automotive clear? did you purchase a seperate gun made more for automotive purposes or are you using small amounts in your airbrush? im out of work for a few weeks for surgery recovery and spraying flake is one of the things i want to use my down time for as well as getting better at standard finishes - my go to lures are normally middle n's from norman lures and they usually have a flake in them and it seems to help in the muddy water i normally fish a lot

ben what are you using to spray your automotive clear? did you purchase a seperate gun made more for automotive purposes or are you using small amounts in your airbrush? im out of work for a few weeks for surgery recovery and spraying flake is one of the things i want to use my down time for as well as getting better at standard finishes - my go to lures are normally middle n's from norman lures and they usually have a flake in them and it seems to help in the muddy water i normally fish a lot

I first started spraying the auto clear with my Iwata airbrush, but was worried about screwing it up so I bought a cheap ($15) airbrush from Harbor Freight to spray the auto clear with. If it gets clogged up then it's no big loss. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I've tried spraying flake with it though. Heck, I'm not even sure what size nozzle it has. It does a great job of spraying the auto clear though. If it happens that the HF brush won't spray the flake I've got a Paasche VL with a #5 tip that should have no problem spraying the flake. The reason the airbrush is used to spray clear is I only build a couple baits at a time. If I was building baits for sale and clearing a bunch of them at once it might be more practical to get a HVLP (high volume low pressure) gun.

hope this made sense,

Ben

Ben

@ Ben....I thought you were using a passche vl 3 to spray auto clear with......maybe i misunderstood...

At one time or another I have used both the Paasche and the Iwata to spray auto clear. Not wanting to take a chance of screwing up my better brushes I decided to purchase the cheap HF brush. At $15 if it gets clogged up with hardened auto clear and can't be cleaned it won't hurt nearly as much to toss it in the trash. I like to think that I keep an open mind and am willing to change ways of doing things as I continue to learn new things and better ways of doing the old things. And as I've said before my way may suck for somebody else. You've got to figure out what works best for you. To my way of thinking if your not trying new things then your stuck where you are and will never reach your full potential. Whatever that may be.

Ben

ok thanks for the tip - i had been looking at either some cheap full size guns from lowes or a cheaper bottom feed airbrush with a bigger nozzle to do auto clear and/or flake with rather than use my eclipse - like you im only doing a few at a time so idk if a bigger gun would be worth it but i may get one anyway since i would like to have one for spraying finishes on woodworking projects as well

another question for you if you dont mind - where is a good place to buy flake? and what size flakes have worked best for you ? i looked at some at coastairbrush but i quickly got a lil confused as to what will be best for what i want to do

The flake I've got right now came from Hobby Lobby. Not sure of the exact size, but I think they call it ultra fine. There are numerous places to buy flake.

TCP Global... http://www.tcpglobal.com/

Coast Airbrush... http://www.coastairbrush.com/

Old School Flake... http://www.oldschoolflake.com/

Paint with Pearl... http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakestore.htm

If your ordering it off the 'net then you might try to find a place close to where you live so the shipping charges don't drive the price up so much.

hope this helps,

Ben

I have had trouble spraying the metal flake from Paint with Pearl with a medium tip. The flake clogs the brush. I have no problem sprying the ghost pearls, which are smaller. I am mixing the bigger flakes with Tamiya clear. It seems like the flake all sinks to the bottom and doesn't suspend and then it clogs the brush. Anyone have any tips for spraying the bigger flake?

i've been putting some on my finger (latex glove) and sprinkling it over the bait after my DN stops drippings as much. I normally put a 2nd coat on over this when the DN is ready. However, I've done baits w/ 1 coat where I sprinkled over top and never re-cleared and the sparkle stayed just fine. I like 2 coats on balsa is all.

im already looking at ordering either a small touch up brush or a siphone feed eclipse and moving to automotive clear as well for a top coat - after looking at the links i got from ben the "mini flake buster" gun coming out soon from old school flake looks to maybe be the way to go for the small application we use here - i am defitly looking at being a guinnea pig for it when it is finally released - it looks to attach to the front of current airbrushes and be used that way - they have a few videos on youtube adn it looks to be easy and effective for small applications

im already looking at ordering either a small touch up brush or a siphone feed eclipse and moving to automotive clear as well for a top coat - after looking at the links i got from ben the "mini flake buster" gun coming out soon from old school flake looks to maybe be the way to go for the small application we use here - i am defitly looking at being a guinnea pig for it when it is finally released - it looks to attach to the front of current airbrushes and be used that way - they have a few videos on youtube adn it looks to be easy and effective for small applications

Let us know which direction you decide to go and how it works out.

Ben

i most definitly will ben - have you or anyone else in your recollection tried any off the duplicolor clear coat available? its a laquor and does not require mixing at all so im not as sure about it but i like some of the prices better on my budget

i do plan to talk to my "paint expert" (coworker) tomorrow sometime about some of things and see what else he knows of available on flake - he doesnt know much on airbushing but he is the only guy in the area who can work on and repair larger commercial spray guns as well as having tons of experience in the commercial paint feild as a painter and sales rep - he is my go to guy on any kind of paint question and would be a really nice guy overall if he wasnt a dang bama fan - lol

update - i just got off the phone with the folks at coast airbrush - they are a authorized dealer of the old school flake and i asked them about the mini flake buster gun to see if they had any info on it - at this time they have heard about it and one of their in house/supported artist has used it and highly liked it for small/detail work but they currently have no info on pricing or availablity so i left my email address for them to contact me when they hear on it