RayburnGuy

Spraying Flake

Seems like I've heard, or read, something about the Duplicolor clear. Can't say I know of anyone, including myself, who is using it though. As for myself, I'm pretty much finished with the "top coat wars". I've tried several different ones and have been most pleased with the auto clear for several different reasons. I won't go so far as to say it's the "best" ( I hate that word because at "best" the word "best" is a relative term....but then daddy always said I never knew what was "best" for me) :teef: because what fits into the way I do things may make someone else burst into an oilfield cussin'.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I have a great tip for working with the larger flakes, but it isn't what you may want to hear. I mix large flakes into my epoxy finish and then BRUSH it on watching for placement of the flakes to make sure they are arranged the way I like. I only do a few at a time but it doesn't clog tips. lol Musky Glenn

I've also added flake to epoxy and then brushed it on with good results, but since I've started spraying auto clear I was trying to do away with the epoxy/glitter coat as it only adds an extra step. I'm really sold on the auto clear and don't see myself changing anytime soon so was naturally looking for a way to spray the flake as well. To my way of thinking spraying auto clear over an already epoxied bait is like putting on two pair of underwear. It doesn't really double the protection, but it sure bunches up on ya.

Ben

I have a Flakebuster dry spray gun, that I've used on several different projects, none of which were lures.....I will say that I liked for some projects and not others.....Dry spraying flake is a great idea and works ok on some level, but what I found was, I end up with alot of flake on the floor and everywhere else for that matter.....Yes, you can try to recover the flake by sweeping or catching the extra flake on a substrate of some sort, but to me it was more hassle then it was worth, so now I'm real picky on which jobs I might use it on, but for the most part is just sits on the bench. If I were doing alot of lures at a time and had some sort of self contained booth that would catch the extra flake for reuse later without causing a big clean up then I'd say it'd be worth looking into....otherwise keep doing what your doing now and save your money for another airbrush or touch-up gun or more paint....something you'll actually use....lol

perhaps mixing the flake with something like createx clear top coat first would work better? I've been thinking about trying this and brushing it on.... OR doing as you are saying and shoot it through a cheaper gun. since it's sparkle, i'm not really trying to do any details with it. Plus, this should help make the final clear coat smoother too since the flake will be underneath instead of within... just thinkin. I figure it would shoot better with the createx clear than with a urethane, and hopefully be easier to clean too.