eric001

Musky Size Tubes Dipper/mold

Care to elaborate? exactly what "stuff" have you tried already? & what results did you like or dislike?

As for molds, My opinion is that the designs wouldn't change much except for the obvious size. A custom mold that size would carry a musky sized price tag, particularly multiple cavity ones.

Equipment is sparse for dipping 9" tubes but have you tried the "horizontal" method introduced by Bojon discussed here on TU? That would be my first attempt.

Good luck.

ive had a friend turn down a metal rod and thread a handle on the end and it was taking many-many dips to get a decent thickness, then cut the tentacles

ive tried the horizontal idea in the past but its hard to keep the plastic at the right temp, seemed like id get two or three dips before the plastic needed to be reheated

dont know how a mold with a cavity would work, since ive never tried but seems pricey since rtv aint cheap

I make big tubes for flipping heavy cover for bass. I use a medium plastic with around 2 - 3 heaping Tblsp. of salt per cup of plastisol. I use a 5/8" rod 5" long and have a piece of coat hanger, JB welded into the end, with a "sideways S" bent into the wire so I can hang it vertically from a wire, stretched accross the pouring counter. I dip vertically out of 2 cup pyrex. (recently changed to a 4 cup) I have to lift the plastisol up the rod, with a spoon, for the first dip and then do 3 additional dips. So the tails are only a single dip. I have to change to a smaller cup for the last dip or two They usually end up around an 1 1/8" in diameter, with the main body of the tube around 2 3/4 - 3" long and the tip is over a 1/2" thick. They hold up well flipping back 10 - 20' back into the cattails and I can use the same tube for hours . I tried the horizontal method, but found that vertical worked better and faster. Without salting the plastic, you get almost no build for the first or second dip and the tails will be so thin that they're difficult to cut without tearing, with the tool that I made.

There was a very good thread with video on this subject, about a year ago. I would normally hunt it down for you, but I am sat on the floor in an Indonesian internet cafe. My knees and hips are aching, I am going to need people to help me stand up when I am done. Just not feeling very enthusiastic about searching. Please forgive me. But the thread is worth hunting down.

Dave