DanCampbell

Help With Painting _ Photo Attached

Hi All,

I am using a Paasche single action H and Createx water based paint and can't seem to get it looking good. I have this hooked to a small Grizzly compressor set at about 45 PSI

My paint looks spotty and spattered and I'm not sure how to correct this, any thought would be great.

Dan

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

P0002_090211.jpg

post-18640-0-73796500-1314966590_thumb.jpg

Edited by DanCampbell

Possibilities:

-paint too thin

-too high of pressure

-not cleaning tip of airbrush( often carefully check the needle tip to make sure it's clean with no buildup)

-Bent needle tip (catching paint till a blob builds up enough to get blown off)

I keep a scap piece of paper (newprint, paper bag, fiberboard,etc) next to my lure painting and do a test pass with the airbrush before shooting the lure to make sure the spray pattern is not too thick, too thin, doesn't spatter. It also give me a pass at determining how close to hold the airbrush to the lure (useful for spraying thin line). Helps too when you change colors to make sure the brush is cleared of the last color used.

Edited by EdL

Ok im going to sort of steal a famous line from "Finding Nemo"

Just keep painting... just keep painting....just kee painting.....

First keep your psi up high! That helps you layer it.... Layer you paint.. and thin it if its splattering.. move your gun away from the bait and DUST THE PAINT ON IT! dont get it too close and turn up that air pressure...you can spary good paint at 15 to 18 psi... you can make purdy cakes at that rate..but not baits. I SPARY MY BAITS AT 60 PSI. And my gun is about 12 inches from the bait when Im laying base coats.. I turn it down to 35 to 40 for detail work. But you will learn your own style.....You just have to keep at it.....so..........JUST KEEP PAINTING...JUST KEEP PAINTING......GOOD LUCK DIPSTICK! Hope this helps.

The Rookie

I'm from the older old school. The paint gun may be your problem, but its not because it is a single action. I have single and double action guns and always pick up the single action because of simplicity. Like the Rookie said, just keep painting. The best advise I can give you is "Make a change in your paint thickness and air pressure and notice how that effects your paint job". Also work with speed of movement of gun and distance from lure while painting. If you ever spray any metalic paint, distance and air pressure really effects how far the metal is driven into the layer of paint, which changes how much you see the metal. Just keep Painting. Musky Glenn

a double action will help you learn faster, in my opinion. some paints like high psi, some like low. I will agree with the rookie as that I normally shoot higher, 40-60. i tend to crank it up with createx pearls, not sure how auto pearls would shoot. also, a good quality double action airbrush will paint better than a less expensive one, but this is only after you know how to paint.

i had a paschee V series that had siphon feed and it was good for the $. However, I strongly suggest that you get a gravity feed. it just works better for small stuff like0 lures.

good luck!

You might also try straining your paint Dan. Dean (Lure_Professor) gave me a tip that helped solve a lot of the problems I was having. Take a ladies stocking and cut it into 1" squares. Unscrew the cap on your bottle of Createx and place the stocking piece over the neck and screw the cap back on.

Ben

You might also try straining your paint Dan. Dean (Lure_Professor) gave me a tip that helped solve a lot of the problems I was having. Take a ladies stocking and cut it into 1" squares. Unscrew the cap on your bottle of Createx and place the stocking piece over the neck and screw the cap back on.

Ben

I'm with you on this Ben, works like a charm. Just gotta talk the wife out of her stockings. lol

Hi Guys,

Do you think I can get good results with regular Createx paint and a Paasche single action or should I try another type / brand ?

I am thinking of buying a double action air brush but the choices are huge. I am searching the forums but it is a ton of information.

Any thoughts would be great.

Dan

Dan, I shoot regular Createx ( not reduced ) at 35-50psi with a double action brush... The small imperfection or dots you are seeing are from the needle tip, it happens on double action brushes also, when the user doesn't keep the air on after stopping the paint. Spray the initial burst of paint away from your bait.

As for brands or price range of brushes, I use dirt cheap air brushes for a few reasons. 1. I never clean them properly 2. I don't look after them properly 3. I can replace it 2 - 3 times a year and get the new brush feeling.

A lot of airbrushing is down to the user, detail comes with practice and time... Not by buying the most expensive brush on the market.

Here's some baits painted with a $20 brush and non reduced Createx.

TWStep12.jpg

BomberMACS.jpg

IanLightPop1.jpg

Keep at it.