Kris

How Do You Airbrush A 'soft' Line ?

I want to create a line that separates colors like a 'hard' line you get from tape or a template. But I want it more 'soft' ...

I've tried using a template and holding it away from the lure but I still get a 'hard' line. I've tried just using the A/B but I get overspray.

If it would help I can post a pic of what I looking to achieve.

I usually freehand it when I want a soft line. You have to turn the air pressure way down (I use around 10 psi) and make sure your paint is thinned down so it will shoot at lower pressure. If you're talking about a soft line like a neon yellow stripe on the crankbait's sides, I cheat. I know the back will be a darker, so I shoot that first, then use it's margin as a guide to shoot the neon yellow immediately under it. If you shoot the yellow at an upward angle toward the back of the lure, there will be no overspray below it and overspray onto the back will be hidden by the darker back color.

I do pretty much the same thing Bob does except I use even lower air pressure. As little as 5 psi or less. Keep in mind when your paint is thin enough to shoot at this pressure you will have to make 2 or 3 passes to reach the desired opacity. Also when shooting at these lower pressures I have the tip of the airbrush within a 1/4" or so of the bait. My airbrush also has a MAC valve which is used to control the volume or air that passes through the brush. You can achieve the desired results without a MAC valve, but it makes it easier. For me at least. And don't forget to strain your paint. That is vital when shooting at lower pressures. If your paint isn't clean clogging of the nozzle can be a major pain in the butt.

Ben