Blackhawk78418

Topwater Rattle

I doubt your going to get the same sound as a Super Spook in a wooden bait. For one thing the wood is going to dampen the sound of any rattle you put inside of it. And your talking about two completely different types of baits. One is a hollow plastic tube with a metal ball rolling around inside of it and the other is a solid bodied piece of wood. Don't let that discourage you though. Experiment with some different ways of adding rattles to your wooden baits and you just might come up with something that out fishes the Super Spook. Think out of the box. Look at what Rapala is doing on some of their baits. They're affixing two metal discs on either side of a hole drilled laterally through their baits. I've read here at TU that some guys are using empty shell cases from a 22 rim fire cartridge in much the same way that Rapala is doing. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you.

good luck,

Ben

I get them from lurepartsonline. The 7mm jig glass and the jig skirt rattles. Ive even installed them sideways inside the lure to get more rattle, its better but not good enuff. I tried the bullet casing used a 38special thats what fit inside the lure but not the sound Im looking for. I figured the only way to get what I want is to turn the lure then cut it in half long ways make a big chamber big enuff for a 3/8" bearing to bounce around in. And while I have it open run a S/S wire through it. Then glue it back together. But thats too much just for a rattle, Im gonna try something else

The loudest rattles I've made: drill a hole completely through the bait and cover the holes with round caps cut from the sides of a common pop can and glue them into place with super glue. Pop can aluminum cuts easily with scissors. You can recess the area around the hole slightly to hold the cap at the level of the crankbait's sides or you can just glue them on and sand down the edges of the caps to match the bait's sides. Make sure you don't superglue the rattle ball while gluing on the caps. Glue on one cap, then put in the rattle ball and glue on the other side. The impact of a single ball bearing against the side caps puts lots of vibration into the water. You need to figure out the best place for the rattle in terms of bait balance and action. Don't want the rattle to ruin the action!

Thanks bob, I just turned a lure a little thicker than usual (my lures similar to a spook about 4") and after adding lead and balancing and all that I drilled from the azz end forward half way through big enuff for a 5/16"S/S ball bearing to fit screwd a little screw inside the hole left it in there then got a 5/16"wood dowel and cut off 1" and glued it in the hole about 1" more or less. Sound is similar to

To the glass rattles but there. Is soo much vibration given off. Cant wait to see this in action this weekend... Still want the hard knock sound instead of the click .. IMO the low frequency one knocker seems to work 2-3xs better than the high frequency rattle well thats what Ive noticed and a couple other guys have noticed too.

If I understand you correctly you drilled your rattle chamber on a line from the front to the back. If you made your rattle chamber from side to side it seems to me you would get more sound as the ball would be coming into contact with the metal caps used to seal the hole due to the natural side to side action of the crankbait. The picture below is one of the Rapala baits I was referring to earlier. Notice how the metal disc is exposed on the side of the bait? Their chamber is drilled across the bait instead of inline with it.

Ben

Rapala Rattle Chamber.jpg

post-21848-0-21727400-1315882431_thumb.jpg

Someone on Tu suggested drilling a thru hole at the eye location, and adding a single ball rattle like BobP talked about there. The lure eyes can go in the recess after you glue in the aluminum discs, and the side-to-side action of a spook-type lure really makes the one knock rattle.

I drill 5/16" recesses for the eyes, 1/4" recesses for the aluminum discs (I use a hole punch to make them), and 3/16" thru holes for the rattle.

Ok Im using bits of what everyone has input I think its gonna look awsome. On a bigger spook type lure Just behind the head of lure where the peck fin would be Im drilling a hole frm left side through to rt and putin a 3/8" steel bearing in and Im capping the holes with 2- .45cal case ends so you will ba able to read this when its all done and clear coated. Jus imagine the new Rapala lures with 45s instead of 22s. Thanks everyone for your help. Still not the thud knock Im lookn for though... Lol

G'day Blackhawk78418/all

If you do a search for Aluminium epoxy eyes & other options I submitted on the 10th of March 2011 you will see the option I included to make rattles at the end of the spiel, I sent Hazmail down some samples which he kindly posted the photos for me to make it easier to follow.

The same technique can also be used & seal over the end caps with a suitable filler & sand them back if you don't want to have eyes protruding.

If you want to vary the audible noise the rattles make you can use other products like plastic end caps to change the noise it makes, eg the aluminium caps will be quite loud, the plastic caps not as loud, you can also change the bearing from stainless steel to small lead pellets which will dull the sound a bit like the old Bill Norman Chug Bugs (I think thats what they were called).

Plenty of options to try, you just have to trial & error until you come up with what you are trying to immitate, the wad punches & that technique are just very easy & doesn't cost much once you buy the wad punches, all the other stuff most of us have lying around the house, cheers Balls.