orionn1

Best Silver Paint?

Looking for a silver paint super shiny. Right now I use createx paints and auto air aluminum, and metallic. They are just not the silver That I am looking for. I would like something that looks like the sp pointer 100 sardine lucky strike lures.

Any suggestions? Do you guys mix or add to get that almost mirror like look?

thanks

rob

There are a few companies out there that claim to have a paint that are "almost" as shiny as chrome and they are probably pretty close. The drawback to most of these paints is the cost. When you start paying upwards of $30 for a few ounces of paint that pretty much excludes a lot of us. And some of these paints have a strict set of guidelines that must be followed to get the shiny appearance that is "almost" like chrome. That is why I suggested using foil. It's a cheap alternative to chrome paint. And the foil tape I use (Brite-Bak) can be polished with a Dremel tool equipped with a buffing wheel and some polishing compound to give it an almost mirror like finish. If price is no object and your mind is set on using paint then just type "chrome paint" into the web browser of your choice and you will find several.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I've looked around for some good chrome paint before. Once in a while I buy from alsa, they are one of the most expensive to buy from but not many can touch there specialty paints. MirraChrome is one of them. I've never tried it, but if you are willing to spend $80 for 4oz. I'm sure it would do what your looking for. If I want a similar look I just use cheaper foil.

This stuff is the best rattle can "sorta chrome" that I've found. It's not Alsa quality, but you don't need a polished gloss black substrate, like Alsa. I just shot a scarred junk bait to show you. It is slick enough on a real prepped lure that waterbase, water borne paint needs an intermediate clear or needs to be shot with just one mist coat of color at a time or the Createx Wicked (in my case) just beads up.

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Spaz stix mirror chrome is the best that I have seen for the price. You can get in a rattle can or an airbrush 2 oz bottle or larger cans. Do a google image search for spaZ stix and you should find a couple of spoon dip test people did comparing it to house of kolor's cosmic chrome. To me it looks just as good and you can buy smaller quantities and it is far less expensive.

I have to agree with bobv, I almost exclusively foil my baits also. The spaz stix looks great when you have a nice gloss black undercoat but it is not at all durable enough by itself, and the second you put any type of clear over it you can kiss half of it's luster goodbye. I find the the foil is easy, cheap, and faster so you can get your lure in the water and put it to work. I just thought I would mention the spaz stix in case you were dead set on using paint. The fish don't care if your lure has a mirror finish and too much flash can spook finicky fish anyway.

I just build or paint lures one at a time for myself.

I've tried foil, but it took too long.

Now I use silver nail polish.

Sally Hansen 220 "Celeb City".

It is really shiney, and durable.

I got some on my thumbnail a week ago, and it's still there. :oooh:

I put the "Hard as Nails" clear over it on lures.

Not perfect, but really shines, and if you dab it on over clear lures, you get a 3D, see-thru finish that's great for clear water.

Edited by mark poulson

You can paint over the glitter, but that kind of defeats the effect you get from glitter on top of paint.

I usually put the glitter nail polish over the Createx. Createx is water based, and the nail polish is solvent based, so I don't have problems. I don't overbrush the nail polish, just in case the acetone in it's solvent base has softened the Createx a little.

If you get some of the Sally Hansen Celeb City nail polish, their silver, it works great over clear plastic baits. Even though it looks like it's solid when you brush it on, if you hold the bait up to the light you'll see that it is translucent, so the bait is really a mottled see-through, with silver flash, and red gills (I use a red sharpie to mark the gills after the nail polish has dried).

Fish looking up will get the silver flash but not a hard, "this is artificial" silhouette.

• Like 1