cheapskate

Trouble Splitting A Lure In Half

I looked at hillbilly's tutorial on how to make a hollow 2 part mold and the first step it cut/split the lure down the seam. Well I have been slicing on a practice lure for half an hour and I am making a big messy line down the middle and it won't start to split.

Any ideas on the best way to split a hollow lure down the middle(seam) for future molding?

Thanks

Brian

I purchased some diamond impregnated cut-off wheels for my Dremel tool to cut polycarbonate, micarta and things like that. The blades are pretty thin and leave a fairly smooth cut. They should be perfect for cutting a bait in half. If heating the seams doesn't work and your interested in the cut-off wheels just holler and I will look up the address.

Ben

@bjgshop

I've tried the heating method on several lures. I have tried a blow dryer, boiling water, leaving em out in the sun etc. It does work for some if not most lures but I have run into a few that I was unable to split using these methods. Try the heat method and if it won't work for you then follow Rayburnguys advice, hasn't led me astray yet!

@Rayburnguy

I would like a link to those wheels, regular cut off wheels don't work so great lol

Edited by Mindhunter

@Rayburnguy

I would like a link to those wheels, regular cut off wheels don't work so great lol

Here's the link to the ones I'm using. They're 7/8" diameter and 1/32" thick. You might want to look around when you get to the site. They have a pretty good selection of hobby tools and stuff that is useful for guys like us.

http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/en-us/p1762.html

Ben

Has anyone tried heating up a wire with flame and melt/cutting through it that way

It just so happens that this is the only one I have so I don't want to mess it up

The problem I see with doing that is the wire is so thin that it will not retain heat and will start cooling immediately upon removal from the flame. You might try it on one of your "practice" lures to see if it will work, but I have my doubts.

Edited by RayburnGuy

I purchased some diamond impregnated cut-off wheels for my Dremel tool to cut polycarbonate, micarta and things like that. The blades are pretty thin and leave a fairly smooth cut. They should be perfect for cutting a bait in half. If heating the seams doesn't work and your interested in the cut-off wheels just holler and I will look up the address.

Ben

That is the way its done ben the cut of wheel will leave a smoother line than a knife any day also they will split the line ties and hook hangers to keep the seams strait

That is the way its done ben the cut of wheel will leave a smoother line than a knife any day also they will split the line ties and hook hangers to keep the seams strait

It worked for me Hillbilly, but what works for me may be a disaster for somebody else. And I've only split a couple lures so no way am I an expert on it.

definition of "expert" ............pronounced..x-spurt............an "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure

Ben

definition of "expert" ............pronounced..x-spurt............an "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure

Ben

Ah we are like peas in a pod :ph34r:

Im with you on the split worked for me but it also has to do a lot with the lure its self IMHO the bigger and flatter the bait the easier it is or it may be my eyes :blink: