Sonny.Barile

Belt Sander.....

What belt/disc combo do you think is better for lure building?

1"x30" belt with 5" disc or bigger 4"x36" with 6" disc?

I bought the 1x30 recently but am having second thoughts........

I originally picked that model because I thought it would be less likely to gouge the wood when doing small or finer sanding work, but I am now thinking that I have seriously limited the size of what I can work on.

I would like to start building 3 to 5 inch gliders and darters in wood.

If you could give me your opinion as to which and why, I would greatly appreciate it....

Some of you may already know me from this board as I have made a few lures in wood using a bandsaw (that I no longer have) and hand filing and sanding . I recently tried my hand at casting urethane, but that is really boring and left me feeling like I didnt really do anything. I think for me, I get much more of a sense of being connected with what I build when it is more of an artistic labor as opposed to mixing chemicals and popping out something.

Sonny

I bought a 4" x 6" belt with a 6" disc sander and wish I had listened to Mark about buying the belt and spindle combo sander. Would have been much easier to keep everything square when sanding. When sanding the "back" and "belly" of a crank there are places the disc won't get into and you have to guess at holding the bait square when using the belt in these areas. The belt/spindle would have been a much better choice.

Ben

After messing with the one I have today it seems like it will work out for what Im doing. The table on the 5" disc tilts up to 45 degrees and the small belt can have it's back stop removed which will be great for sculpting out round sided baits.

It isnt that powerful at 1/4 hp but I was able to shape out a 4 inch lure blank from poplar with out having to break out the jig saw. The tilting table will help me rough out my rounds and I can finish them by hand.

Thanks for your advice.

Sonny

Mine is a 4" wide belt and disk combo. I am very happy with it. The down side is the limitation of the belt wheel radius, I wish it was smaller. I move to the drill press with a sanding drum that I made for the concave shapes.

Belt sanders 'belt' out more dust than any of the machines in the shop. Also, the dust that it creates is extremely fine and therefore extremely unhealthy. Always wear a mask and hook up your shop vac if you do not have a dust extraction system. Sorry to hijack, but this is important.

Dave

Vodkaman is correct.

dust collection. shop vacs plug and burn out. plus there spark creators that create fires also.

we use a 4by 36,and a 1by 30 belt sanders.

bvuy good belts and they will last very well.

.sorry if i seem to hijak the thread but wood dust and static electricity is very dangerous for woodworkers.

Yes to all of the above. I am aware of the ill effects of hardwood dust to the respiratory system. I do use a mini shopvac hooked up to the dust port and a cotton mask. It is because of the mask that my family jokes that I am out in the garage doing surgery.......Where I am lacking in safety is I never wear protective glasses. I fog them up all the time and I think not seeing is more dangerous to me.

Thank you as these are important things to tell people. For some people, Lure building is the first time they work with woods and chemicals.

Regards

Sonny

Bassguy

I have the yellow one from HF. I banged out 3 four inch gliders on it today. Between that sander and a dremel tool, it is no longer hard work.

I hear that Sonny, the only thing I really don't like about it; it will bog down if you feed it too fast but other than that it will flat out knock out the baits. I usually rough out my baits with a coping saw (don't have a bandsaw) then go from there. I've got the little green one, table top guy.

Jerry

Edited by bassguy

That looks like the one I have. Mine is 5 years+ old, and still going strong.

Well I had to pick one up the other day.... I have a good size lure order and my hands were starting to cramp... AT LEAST THATS WHAT I KEPT TELLING MYSELF! Anyway, I got one... AND GOT 50 BUCKS KNOCKED OFF IT! :yeah: perhaps this is a bit wrong :nuhuh: , but all I had to do is flirt with a fat chik at the register. i'd say she was a 2-3 on the 10 scale... after knocking $50 off 8O and perhaps a few of these :sauced:

so next time your in the big HD, pick out the big girls for big discounts... and give them a ;)

Well I had to pick one up the other day.... I have a good size lure order and my hands were starting to cramp... AT LEAST THATS WHAT I KEPT TELLING MYSELF! Anyway, I got one... AND GOT 50 BUCKS KNOCKED OFF IT! :yeah: perhaps this is a bit wrong :nuhuh: , but all I had to do is flirt with a fat chik at the register. i'd say she was a 2-3 on the 10 scale... after knocking $50 off 8O and perhaps a few of these :sauced:

so next time your in the big HD, pick out the big girls for big discounts... and give them a ;)

"The girls all get prettier at closing time."

This is a little off topic, but I wanted to share how I sand my lures. I have drill press, so I cut a 1.5" piece off of a broom handle and glued a piece of sand paper to it. Drilled a 1/4" hole right in the center, and put a bolt and two nuts on it to attatch it. And it works amazingly well andit costs about 50 cents to make. Rob

Its not off topic! As long as you haggled on the price!

i have something very similar that I used primarily before. I still use it to do the finer sanding now. Belt sanders are great for knocking off angles, not so good for fine sanding... on balsa anyway. Having a round sanding object is nice for under the tail of cranks.

I'm still pretty scared of this belt sander, I've had a couple lures get ripped out of my hands and thrown across the room already. As long as its not a finger

This is a little off topic, but I wanted to share how I sand my lures. I have drill press, so I cut a 1.5" piece off of a broom handle and glued a piece of sand paper to it. Drilled a 1/4" hole right in the center, and put a bolt and two nuts on it to attatch it. And it works amazingly well andit costs about 50 cents to make. Rob

I do something very similar, for the cuts that I cannot reach with the belt sander. I glue old belt sander paper for this job, it lasts longer.

Chattin' the ladies nearly always works, I do it all the time here. Discount or no discount, it is always nice to see someone smile.

Dave