crankbaits

Swimbait Segments

Good question. I see no reason why progressively smaller shouldn't work. An accepted formula is 2:1:1:1 having said that, I build my head section smaller than this, maybe 1.7:1:1:1 I think the important part is the first to second sections, the third and fourth just follow, but I could be wrong.

The most important part of building swimbaits, is getting the hinges free moving with no edges or burrs to interfere with the movement. It is amazing that the slightest burr will turn your masterpiece into a dead stick.

Dave

on a 4 segment bait I try to make the head at least 1/3 the length of the bait with the following 2 segments totaling a 1/4 of the overall length then back 1/3 for the tail seams to work. Like TT long head short waste and a long tail BBZ1 are the same. On a 3 segment bait same as the 4 a short waste. Then iv done some were they get shorter from nose to tail that worked. But over all the shape and profile of the segments will determine if it will swim or not iv made some really nice paper weights in my time.

If you are going to put artificial fins are your bait, consider where they will be and where your hooks will be. I made this mistake on a 4 peice swimbait. The rear hook kept getting caught up in the tail fin. To prevent this I had to push the hook closer to the nose. Unfortunatley the hook is exactly where I had the anal fin. I looked at some 4 and 5 peice swimbaits to see where I went wrong. Looks to me like the tail peice is often longer than the middle sections.

As mentioned above, look at ones you like and try to copy it. You could even print out pictures and measure the section to get a ratio perspective of the bait leangth and segments.