ING

Powder Paint Guns Vs. Fluidized Beds

I use both a spray gun and the fluid bed and they do different things so one will not faze out the other. I like using the sray gun or air brush for muti colored jigs and spinnerbaits but it isn't a substitue for the fluid bed, that is the only way I do single colors and I often use it for base colors on a jig with 2 colors. The cons to the air brush method are waste and overspray, you can reclaim a lot of it like I do but overspray will always be present, and the other thing that isn't good is you have to go through and make sure all your powder is consistant and not in clumps as this will jam your air brush pretty good. The pros consist of better flake distributions which was already mentioned, easy blending of colors, shading effects are easier to accomplish. Both have a purpose and even though I've been using the air brush a long time with powder, I'd be lost without my fluid bed, and I believe the fluid bed puts a thinner more consistant coat of paint on than any method, that alone makes it indispensible. Try them both and you'll see they are not the same and do different things.

I have no any experience in the airbrushing or using of spray guns.

What is the main difference between the spray gun and air brush or they are the same animals?

And what kind of them are suiting better for jigs and lures/blades painting?

Thanks

I have no any experience in the airbrushing or using of spray guns.

What is the main difference between the spray gun and air brush or they are the same animals?

And what kind of them are suiting better for jigs and lures/blades painting?

Thanks

Spray gun or air brush, same thing unless you're talking about painting large items like cars or houses...lol. The spray gun we use is for powder paint and it is a hobby sand blaster designed to spray a corse medium through, now when you hear the term air brush most of the time is is a regular or air brush specific paint as a normal air brush couldn't spray plain powder paint. So if you want to spray your lures you need to decide what type of paint to use, once you decide then you'll know if you should get an air brush or a powder paint spray gun. If you want to use powder you need to remember that you aren't going to get fine detail but you can get some nice color blending, go to the gallery and look at some of my spinnerbaits, they are done using a powder paint spray gun, this will give you an idea of what you can expect.

Thank you!

I'll use a powder paint.

As I understand, it's requiring a powder paint gun and compressor.

How powerful it has to be?

Could you recommend some kind of compressor?

I am limited in the space and noise level.

Is it possible to use compressed air cans?

Are an air cans allowed attching to powder paint gun?

Thanks

Edited by ING

Thank you!

I'll use a powder paint.

As I understand, it's requiring a powder paint gun and compressor.

How powerful it has to be?

Could you recommend some kind of compressor?

I am limited in the space and noise level.

Is it possible to use compressed air cans?

Are an air cans allowed attching to powder paint gun?

Thanks

You can use the cans as long as you have the adapter to hook it up but you'll go through them quick. I have a small Force oilless compressor, I think it was like 75 dollars, you don't need a big compressor at all but one of those aquarium pumps like what is used for a fluid bed will not work so don't bother trying. As far as noise the small compressor I have only makes a little bit for 2 minutes until the tank is full and then I have enough air to do 3 or 4 spinnerbaits until the compressor turns back on, I can do a lot of jigs before the tank runs out also. If you don't have enough for a small compressor I'd say start saving for one and in the mean time you can get a couple cans of air, most hobby stores carry it, good luck.

The overspray is the main reason I don't see getting one, but also the cost, clumping are factors also. Learn to use your brush to tap on the other colors and you can get great results with that method. I love my fluid bed, and am putting together another one just for the clear coat.

Maybe something in the future will change my mind, but for now, cup for base coat and tapping the brush are good for me. I make and sell jigs also to shops, and they are plenty happy with the results I get. (Not up to Cadman standards yet though lol)

Andy, I don't know what he is using but for lures most use the Badger model 260 hobby sandblaster.

Do you think that Tj powder paint spray gun http://www.tjstackle.com/psg.htm is the same like badger model 260 hobby sandblaster at http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-260-3-Abrasive/dp/B000IG2VEO ? Are they having same jet diameter?

Do you think that Tj powder paint spray gun http://www.tjstackle.com/psg.htm is the same like badger model 260 hobby sandblaster at http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000IG2VEO ? Are they having same jet diameter?

I believe the ones Tjs sells as well as other retailers is the exact same Badger hobby sandblaster, now I could be wrong but I'm betting that if it isn't the exact make and model it will still work the same as the size of the nozzel has to be wide enough to let course media flow through it. Buy whatever you feel better with but most likely they are the same.

Thank you.

I've bought

Basic Spray Kit with Propel Compressed Air by Badger for $29.70 from

http://www.megahobby.com/basicspraykitwithpropelcompressedairbybadger.aspx

It is consisting Propel regulator valve

Thats ok, I see you are going to use regular paint, at leat I hope you are because what you got will not spray powder, good luck.

Attention manager!

Something has happen with that page:

my initial message "Powder Paint Guns Vs. Fluidized Beds" just disappear and my name has jumped down on the not mine video: "Is using a powder paint guns like:” Now I'm understand why Andy asked me about that video.

Edited by ING

I believe the ones Tjs sells as well as other retailers is the exact same Badger hobby sandblaster, now I could be wrong but I'm betting that if it isn't the exact make and model it will still work the same as the size of the nozzel has to be wide enough to let course media flow through it. Buy whatever you feel better with but most likely they are the same.

Thats ok, I see you are going to use regular paint, at leat I hope you are because what you got will not spray powder, good luck.

Really I am going to use powder paint according previous discussion. Why you are mention now the regular paint?

Really I am going to use powder paint according previous discussion. Why you are mention now the regular paint?

ING, the link you posted shows a badger airbrush, if that is what you bought to spray powder it won't work, it is for normal airbrush paint, you need the badger model 260 or whatever TJ is selling and then you can get the cans of propel with regulator seperately, I know it will cost more but I haven't seen the sandblaster in a kit with the propel cans. I only thought you were using regular paint because as I said before, what you bought or are going to buy, won't spray powder, the nozzel is to fine.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm having issues with my gun I got from TJ's. I was curious if any of you might have had similar issues and resolved them. I thought having this gun would make coating wire baits and blades much easier. I've been spraying from 3-10psi and can't seem to keep the feed tube from clogging constantly and get get a steady stream or flow of powder to finish even one bait. Any ideas?

33 minutes ago, basscat28 said:

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm having issues with my gun I got from TJ's. I was curious if any of you might have had similar issues and resolved them. I thought having this gun would make coating wire baits and blades much easier. I've been spraying from 3-10psi and can't seem to keep the feed tube from clogging constantly and get get a steady stream or flow of powder to finish even one bait. Any ideas?

Maybe turn up the pressure little by little until it flows.

I have tried turning up the pressure to the point it’s at 30psi (at that point when it comes out it’ll be a plume of smoke lol). I have a moisture trap on my compressor (I airbrush automotive and c-tex paints) and I know I don’t have moisture in my powder paint. I’ve had that happen before and it becomes heavier than flour consistency and usually lumpy. I was suggested keeping the filler jar half full to less than half full. I might have to try using a new feed tube.