D.J.

Expanding Baits

I have a question for you guys on here. First off, I haven't been pouring for almost 2 years, but before that I had my own little hand pour company and poured for about 10 years. I have used M-F for all but my first year of pouring baits. I have noticed though that the stick baits that I used to pour, would end up swelling up to about 2 feet in length when left in water and I found a fluke behind my boat seat that must have been 20" long!!! I guess my question is does this newer "Green Plastic" eliminate that problem? I just bought a house on a lake and I really do not want to look at 2lb. senkos all day long! I am also concerned about what the long term problems might be as far as leaving these baits in the water. I tried searching for this, but after 8 or 9 pages, I just flat out got bored with it. LOL. Thanks.

Edited by D.J.

I've never heard of this issue in real world conditions what I mean is its a non issue when the bait is fished and stored correctly as far as the baits longevity and safety for fish well all I do know is none of the plastics we pour out there do not biodegrade and if swallowed will pass whole they do not break down at least not fast enough.

I do not have any pics of this, but it could be the salted baits. My buddies house has a good little dock with lilly pads and there are always quite a few largemouth spawning there every spring. He fishes them pretty heavy with my stick baits, and there are probably 4 or 5 discarded baits under his dock that are ballooned up like that. The fluke I found in my boat was heavily salted too, so I guess it could be the salt/plastic mix. I noticed a real Senko that I found the other day that had been in the water was not expanded, just bleeched out really bad. I am not really worried about the fish eating these, due to the size of the baits, but I really don't want to see a bunch of junk in the water if you know what I mean. I might have to do a little experiment with a Senko and one of my baits and then take some pics to show you guys. I am not really sure how long they take to get that big, but I guess we will see.

I have a question for you guys on here. First off, I haven't been pouring for almost 2 years, but before that I had my own little hand pour company and poured for about 10 years. I have used M-F for all but my first year of pouring baits. I have noticed though that the stick baits that I used to pour, would end up swelling up to about 2 feet in length when left in water and I found a fluke behind my boat seat that must have been 20" long!!! I guess my question is does this newer "Green Plastic" eliminate that problem? I just bought a house on a lake and I really do not want to look at 2lb. senkos all day long! I am also concerned about what the long term problems might be as far as leaving these baits in the water. I tried searching for this, but after 8 or 9 pages, I just flat out got bored with it. LOL. Thanks.

This video has been around a while but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your description of enlarged baits...

Please let us know the results of your testing (your bait vs. GYCB).

Rick

SE CT