Hehhna

Sanding Sealer Help. Sealing Your Wooden Lure.

Hey guys. Just a quick question. I just went out and got some sanding sealer. How do I use this? is it ok to just dunk it and let it dry then dunk it again about an hour later?

Also, AFTER I seal it, I need some advice on the spray paint rattle can style babbbyyyyy. Things such as colors and brands would help a lot. Im nearing the end of my first lure!

With the sanding sealer you can dip it, just remember, you are saturating your wood more like this so you need to allow more dry time. After you dip it and it starts to dry look carefully at your bait. Some wood types will bristle slightly when sealing requiring a second light sanding with 400 or more paper and resealing. A good way to tell is after the lure is completely dry (emphasis on completely) take a cotton ball and lightly run it across the bait against the grain. It may feel smooth to the fingers, but the cotton ball will not lie to you.

Only a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt but try your local automotive store for cans of auto acrylic. As for colours, 4 different colours should be plenty for a first lure. Try think about bait fish, normally lighter colour on the belly, darker on top and some sort of pattern down the sides.

Maybe try a couple of practice sprays on a length of pvc electrical conduit, the main tip with spray cans or as I lovingly call them, vandal packs, is that less is more.

I will try add a photo of the first batch of hand carved lures that I painted with VPs, in this instance I used enamel paint.

painted lures web size.jpg

post-24320-0-87711000-1317600399_thumb.jpg

Go to your muse, my friend, and drink deep of the creativity he or she provides. My personal favourite is the Bundy Bear but on occasion Mr Jim Beam or his mate Jack have provided equally as well. The real trick then is to know when to get off of the horse if you catch my meaning.

Alternatively, if you intend to work in the shed without opening the beer fridge, then work on two things on the pvc pipe to start, distance from the pipe with pack and the amount of pressure applied to the nossle on the spray pack.You will be suprised by the effects you can achieve. I've also found that stencils that cover the whole lure can be your best friend when using spray packs and again less paint is more.

The other important thing that I've learned is that fish really don't give much of a toss about paint work, more important is the lure size, profile, action and ability to stay in the strike zone. If you are trying to be a lure carver and developer, these are the things that you should concentrate on, in my humble and bundy fueled opinion.