Bo Bo

Getting Started Painting Hardbaits

I was just beginning to start painting crankbaits. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good compressor and airbursh. I was looking at the Paasche D500SR. Any other tips I need to get started: accessories, paint colors, etc.? Thanks

I have a 15 gallon Brute compressor, I let it fill up to 120psi and can paint all night on that. The smaller compressors will work just as well, but will kick on and off a good bit while painting. You will need a regulator, to control your psi and a moisture trap. I use Iwata airbrushes and love them, but I am sure the Paasche airbrushes will work fine. You will also need a lure turner, if you are going to clear with epoxy.

Getting started, I would buy up a lot of lure blanks and pratcice, practice and practice. The more you paint, the better you will get. You can use all types of netting to make scales. You can cut stencils out of discarded milk jugs. Just cut the flat sides off of the jug and draw out the pattern you are wanting to paint, then cut out and you have a stencil. Createx and Auto Air paints are great for hardbaits. Good luck with your painting and be sure to have fun with it!!

Patrick

I have a 15 gallon Brute compressor, I let it fill up to 120psi and can paint all night on that. The smaller compressors will work just as well, but will kick on and off a good bit while painting. You will need a regulator, to control your psi and a moisture trap. I use Iwata airbrushes and love them, but I am sure the Paasche airbrushes will work fine. You will also need a lure turner, if you are going to clear with epoxy.

Getting started, I would buy up a lot of lure blanks and pratcice, practice and practice. The more you paint, the better you will get. You can use all types of netting to make scales. You can cut stencils out of discarded milk jugs. Just cut the flat sides off of the jug and draw out the pattern you are wanting to paint, then cut out and you have a stencil. Createx and Auto Air paints are great for hardbaits. Good luck with your painting and be sure to have fun with it!!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, know anywhere I can get a lure turner?

Patrick is on the money, about a month ago I was in your shoes. Buy some blanks and start painting! I usually get my blanks off ebay, if you watch for it you can get them cheaper than the places I've seen on the net. As for airbrushes I went with the paasche vl just because I got it on sale in a combo kit, as a first time airbrush user there was a bit of a learning curve but after my first couple of attempts I got the hang of it, I've taken pics of the baits I've been doing and I can see myself improving. Just practice practice practice! I use createx paints, they flow pretty well without being thinned in my #3 tip, and even better thinned with a little water. It's a lot easier to fade colors into each other with transparent paints, look around here on TU there is a wealth of information here for beginners and plenty of people willing to share their experiences! You might also want to look around on youtube, there are some good videos there that will give you a little insight on technique. As for the lure turner there are a few tutorials in the hard bait tutorial section, pretty inexpensive to make one and its definitely a must have! Good luck to you and keep painting!

Edited by Mindhunter

Thanks Patrick, know anywhere I can get a lure turner?

Your welcome bud!!

You can buy a rotisserie motor at Walmart for around $20.00 and build your lure turner. Here is a link to give you an idea on how to build it. You can type in Lure Turner in the search feature and get lots more ideas on how you want to build it.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21837-lure-turner/page__p__162837__hl__+lure%20+turners__fromsearch__1#entry162837

These guys have given you some good info. I use a Paasche VL airbrush and Createx paints. I keep the #1 needle in so I can do small detail work (gills, etc.). As you practice, you will get use to adjusting your air pressure (I usually run 20 - 40psi depending on the paint). You can buy hobby paints at WalMart or Hobby Lobby, just thin them with water. You need the thickness of chocolate milk to flow good. Youtube is a great place to learn some tips on airbrushing. Most of all - HAVE FUN!!! It's a great and a rewarding hobby.

These guys have given you some good info. I use a Paasche VL airbrush and Createx paints. I keep the #1 needle in so I can do small detail work (gills, etc.). As you practice, you will get use to adjusting your air pressure (I usually run 20 - 40psi depending on the paint). You can buy hobby paints at WalMart or Hobby Lobby, just thin them with water. You need the thickness of chocolate milk to flow good. Youtube is a great place to learn some tips on airbrushing. Most of all - HAVE FUN!!! It's a great and a rewarding hobby.

Do you like the Paasche VL? #1 needle is for detailing, is there a good size for base coats? or do you use the #1 at all times? I had a cheaper airbrush, but the needle broke on it so I am hunting for a good one.

I put on a base coat of Createx Opaque white - 1 to 3 coats depending on the coverage. I do paint some "ghost" cranks, and shot transparent paint on the unprimed plastic.

Sounds good. Know of any place I can get unpainted crankbaits?