Hooklineandsinker

Scale Mesh - What Do You Use?

I have used a lot of different style bag material that work good. But, the easiest thing that I have used is a hair net. It stretches so you can change hole size as you like. By it being flexible, it fits any lure design. I stretch it over the top of the lure and fasten it on the bottom, then adjust the design as I like. Musky Glenn

i have used several things myself - ive purchased veil material from hobby lobby and it works very well, is cheap and you can find diffrent sizes also - ive also used other mesh bags, and even drywall tape for a diffrent look - to me its like vodkaman said - i just keep an eye out and use my imagination adn try diffrent things - ive learned that with using createx i can just go to the sink and a lil saopy warm water adn im ready to start over if i dont like it

Who woulda thought that when you open one of those "wife's bath thingy", you'd have to figure out how to hide 25 feet of mesh? They should put a warning label on the danged things! It would read something like "Beware, once White string is removed, have 20 gallon trash bag ready to catch ensuing mesh!" BEFORE WIFE CATCHES YOU!

Here is my technique, This is copied and pasted a conversation, so forgive any typos...

I fought and fought scale patterns for quite a while trying to figure out how to keep them straight and not bunching up or curving too much. The important thing I found was I had to stretch up and down straight very tautly. I use of all things, CHOPSTICKS from Panda Express. Without breaking them apart, I tape the part where the wood is still together so I can open and close them as needed.I use two sets, one on top to hold the netting straight up and down, and one on the bottom to pull the netting tight. The netting is folded in half with the scale pattern in the direction you want and place the first set of chopsticks through the folded netting. Make sure the netting is straight and not bunched up anywhere. Lay the lure inside the folded netting halves on its back, then using the second set of chopsticks pull both sides of the netting through very tight to hold the lure in place and this will give you your scale masking. After you arrange the netting straight and tight use something to hold the netting in, I use a 12" set of hemostats clamping the netting below the second set of chopsticks. Once your lure is stationary and wrapped then you are ready to move on.

Sounds like you want something fine but not too fine. Go to Sally beauty supply and ask for the hairnets. You'll find a pink one in clear plastic for about 2 bucks. It's perfect for bluegill or minnow scales.

I also use shower scrubbies for a courser pattern. They produce a nice effect but some sections will be too distorted to use. Cut and toss. After a while you develop an eye for which parts will work for you and which are crap. You want the diamonds nice and even across a section big enough to cover your bait plus a little more length.