KickerWormz

Senkos, I mean Kickos...and silica sand

I don't believe it's nonsense. Think of it this way.......

if you put a pretzel in your mouth, I'm sure you can taste the salt without biting into it. I'm not sure what goes through the mind of a bass when it picks up a bait, but I do know that they will drop it quicker without salt in it. I have learned this from comparison fishing (salt / no salt) on our river and various lakes. In the end, I'll stick with the salt.

Chris

A crawfish's shell is made up of calcium salts so that could account for a salty taste to the fish . I'm sure most anglers can remember catching a fish that started bleeding from the gills with no visable hook wounds to the gill area. (its a very fragile area for any fish )

A feeding bass can really unload on prey when they hit so I'm sure they could cause enough trauma to a baitfish or crayfish to start some bleeding even without big teeth .........

Bass go after wounded bait very quickly. Now is it the smell, taste or sight that triggers the strike. I don't know for sure, but I sure like to feel him on the other end of that string. I do feel that they will hold something in their mouth longer if it feels natural. I have had several bass swallow a senko style bait before I could set the hook.

Cal

The triggers are :- sound(lateral lines), site(action), smell( 4 pts/ billion), and then finally taste. After that it's swallow and poop,lol.

The problem for lure makers is that you have to get all of these right to have a consistent producer. Something missing in any one of these and the fish will not complete his part of the deal.

The only thing salt does in a soft plastic bait is make it sink faster! All this stuff about taste is nuts. I was fishing when soft plastic worms first came out in the fifties, and early on the theory was to let them swim with it till they stopped and then set the hook. There was no salt (or anything else) in those baits, but the stupid fish would sometimes swim halfway across the lake before you set the hook. They pretty much never dropped the bait. Then many of them would be gut hooked. Over the years we learned better, and now smart anglers stick em the second they hit. But they held on fine (and still do) with or without salt.

As for swallowing baits, anyone who has fished plugs much will tell you that you frequently get fish hooked in the throat on small plugs, and they're not salted. As for the pretzel thing, try dipping a pretzel in the water then see how salty it tastes. Salt dissolves quite well in water so it always cracks me up to see a bag of worms full of salt crystals that wash off the minute they hit the water.

If bass ate based on taste preference they would not survive. They eat anything that's smaller than them and moves, and occasionally things that don't move, but they are not gourmets.

One of the vendors I deal with told me once that if you put some saltwater in your lure baggies the plastic will absorb the salt over a period of time and explained that if soaked long enough such as a couple weeks, it would take on the salt to the extent that it would not readily wash away.

I use a garlic/salt spray that's water based and seems to penetrate very well. I can taste some salt on the lure after fishing with the lure several times, and assume the bass can as well. I don't think the spray attracts bass from afar, but do think they become interested upon tasting.

Spindling a senko or senko clone between thumb and finger supposedly grinds and releases some salt when on the water.

I don't mean any offense with the following.......

I've never fished a senko or clone thereof.....but I have done the following. Get a pack of watermelon/red (red glitter) zoom speed worms and cut them measuring from the nose at the 4 inch mark. Texpose on a 2/0 worm hook and fish weightless. Not having salt or sand internally, they fall rather slowly and the bass get a chance to bite before disappearing in the weeds or rocks on the bottom. For whatever reason, watermelon/red outfishes all other zoom colors offered in the speedworm line. They cast well, skip well and do not tear up easily.

So, when you make some with salt, sand or whatever, make a few without and try them too. I think you will be very pleased. Thank you, Mac

The problem with "soaking" the plastic baits in water, salt or otherwise, is that it will bleach out some of the color.

Now, that may not be a bad thing because I know some guys who do this to change the colors of certain baits just a little to give them something just a little bit different from everyone else.

Hey Mac10, you're giving my secrets away. The speed worm is my favorite bait especially the watermellon red flake, but I just fish it straight from the bag T-rigged with a teeny bullet. Caught a lot of 10+ including my second biggest bass at 17-8. See attachment. If you listen to these guys I shouldn't have caught any thing as it has NO salt.

bob_s_17-8_bass_9-24-02_b7_.jpg

561_thumb.attach

I think you guys are getting this all wrong. We're not saying that you can't catch bass without salted baits. We are saying that the salt will help the fish to hold on longer and with the stick-type baits it adds and action to the bait because of the high % of salt evenly distributed throughout the bait.

To each his own but don't ignore the rest. It all works given the day, the water, and the fish.

I only like to use salt in baits that need to sink,s?nkos , craws, etc. For regular worms and even s?nkos I won't run any salt if I am gonna use them for carolina rigging or dropshots because I want them to have more buoyancy and a slower fall. I don't know if salt is proven to make them hold the bait longer than normal, but that would be a difficult hypothesis to prove or disprove without years of field study. Theoretically, if the salt is going into solution in the water, wouldn't the bass be like a shark following a chum slick in the water?

As for salt on the outside, I have to agree with Seminole Fan that it is a great alternative to worm oil to keep packaged baits from sticking together. You have to think of where that oil actually goes once it hits the water. Do you think it just disappears?

I have rolled worms in salt while they are still warm, and I know that some of the salt will actually adhere to the plastic. I have made several casts and still have seen salt crystals on and slightly in the bait. There sure isn't enough to make the bait sink, but I believe the salt release helps trigger strikes. Again, it all depends on your personal preference, or what makes you feel confident.

Chris