A-Mac

Where To Get Ballast Belly Weight

I tried looking in the search for this, but some of the links I found no longer worked (or the websites didn't exist anymore). I'm looking for the weights that would have the hook hanger built in. Any info on where I could find these would be great.

Have you tried Janns barlows stamina or lure parts on line. I build my own I take 2 1x4 maple (any wood will do) boards aand screw them together and drill 1/4 inch or larger holes about 3/4 inch down then unscrew and you have a mold for ballast. I use cotter pins for the hanger just fold some ears and pour.

I was drilling 4 holes around the screw and inserting split shot weiths... but this just adds 4X the risk of screwing up. Its also harder to put larger weight in. I figure 1 big hole with 1 big weight will be best. i've seen some cylindrical weights that appeared to have a stainless eye screw attached that looked ideal.

Ben, the only thing I saw on the Lure Parts.com was the "bass casting weights"... Is this what you meant? These were under the "terminal tackle" heading. These look like they have brass wire.

bingo... i had punched in lureparts.com instead of lurepartsonline.com

but holy crap are they proud of them! hmm... 2.90 for 10 of them, I'll keep looking. Thats a crazy price. I might get some 1/4" hollow lead wire and crimp it on my eye screws then.

I make my own, it is not difficult. I drill a small hole between two pinned blocks of wood. This hole is just big enough for the brass pin that will form the through hole. I then drill the larger hole, about 3/4" less depth.

Insert the pin, pour, wait 5 seconds then pull out the pin with pliers. Do not wait any longer or the pin will get stuck. Once the pin is out, open the mold and remove the lead.

I can post pics or make a vid if you are interested.

Dave

Has anyone besides me used the weights bass pro carries that snap on a EWG hook (for swimbaits and stickbaits)? I just make my hook hanger out of 19 or 20 gauge wire and then snap the weight around the twisted wire and try to make it as round as possible. Then take a 3/16 drill bit and drill your belly weight hole, it should fit a little snug but should fit no problem. (this is for the 1/16 oz they carry)

I made my own belly weight mold out of 1/4 x 1 x 48-inch aluminum stock available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I drilled two index holes at opposite corners so that the mold halves would line up when placed together. Then, I drilled the hole for the lead. Next, I drilled a 1/8" hole for my screw eye (which I twist out of stainless steel welding wire). Finally, I opened the mold and, using a bradpoint drill bit, drilled a shallow hole at the end of my 1/8" hole on both sides of the mold for the loop on my screw eye. When I pour my belly weights, I insert the screw eye into the mold, close the mold, and pour. Before I open the mold, I clamp the mold in a vise and use a flat chisel to trim the excess lead off. When I open the mold, my weights are ready to use.

Here are the pictures of my mold. I couldn't figure out how to post them in the original post.

Belly Weight Mold1.jpg

Belly Weight Mold2.jpg

Lincoya,

That's a neat setup!

I'm no machinist, so I'd have trouble duplicating it, but it looks like the way to go, for sure.

In the past, I've used sst cotter pins pushed through the center of an egg sinker, with the tag ends bent over and clipped off. I'd seat that in a hole with epoxy, and the wood would fail before the cotter pin would come out.

Mark,

I'm not a machinist either and I just used a drill press to make it. You just need to make fairly precise measurements and use the stop on your drill press to keep the depths all the same.

I've got to make some more molds so maybe I'll make a tutorial when I make the next one.

Gene

Edited by Lincoya

Mark,

I'm not a machinist either and I just used a drill press to make it. You just need to make fairly precise measurements and use the stop on your drill press to keep the depths all the same.

I've got to make some more molds so maybe I'll make a tutorial when I make the next one.

Gene

Too much time on your hands :D Great setup.

Dave

Cabalas has what is called hollow core pencil lead in sizes up to 1/4 inch dia. just cut off the length you need. The hole is already punched thru the lead and makes adding hook hanges very easy. I make my own hanger and insert it thru the hole, bend each on the wires at a 90 degree angle and cut off. Glue the lead in place with D2T and you can pull it out.

Rotorhead