Coley

Hey Skeeter and Hughsey

I took some plastic coating off of a clothes hanger and cut them into small pieces. I place them over the hook hanger on the belly when I paint. You could use any type of small tubing to cover them. When I do a wire through then I slip a piece of the tubing over all of the ties and hangers. When I put in screw eyes for the rear hook hanger then it does not go into the bait untill after everything is painted. I bought some small hooks at wall mart that I screw into the back of the bait. This is what I use to hold the bait as I paint them. It is nice because after I paint them then I can hang them by that hook to dry. Go to the hardware section. You will see them.

Skeeter

I don't see how you guys do it. The most beautiful baits. Tim is the new JL series hand painted?? I feel like maybe a guy can only get so far by

himself and then he needs some hands on instructions. How long have

you guys been doing this?? What brand of airbrush do you use??

Coley

Coley,

I just taught myself. I never saw anyone airbrush anything. I still after 3yrs of making plugs have yet to see anyone else do it or show me anything. I never saw an airbrush work untill I bought mine. Some folks have given me tips on different pressures for different paints. Hughesy and Fat Ratz have answered some lacquer questions for me. But for the most part it is just jump in there and do it. I just know what I want and try to hang in there untill I get it. It doesn't always work out, and some baits take longer than others to paint because I mainly use water based paint. I have to wait a longer time between coats because the paint does not dry like lacquer. They say to be a better fisherman you need to spend more time on the water..... to be a better painter, you just need more time on the gun. I have a Paasche VL double action airbrush. Seems I learn something new every time I paint a batch of cranks. You don't need instruction, just time on the gun. I will be glad to help you in any way that I can. Just hang with it. It will come.

Skeeter

I'm with Skeeter on this one. Nothing take the place of time on the brush. I too use VLs and H models. They just seem more durable and easier to clean. Yes, the new JL Series is hand painted one at a time. Gets kinda routine after 2 or 3 hundred of them the same color over and over 8O . Keep at it and you will develop certain techniques for different effects you want to achieve. I've been doing it so long I think I have forgotten some. There's a lot of talent out there so try to come up with stuff that hasn't been done before. I know it might be hard to believe, but over 15 years ago we came out with the purple and chartreuse color and through that one paint scheme our company took off. Now most of the major manufacturers use it. I've just been blessed enough to have a lot of the big boys (Larry Nixion, George Cochran, Stacey King, Tommy Martian, Randy Blauket, Brent Chapman, ect.) us my stuff and win lots of money with them. If you take your time and put quality stuff out, the biggies will come. I'll help ya any way I can so, Practice, practice, practice! I also agree with you Coley, Skeeter does a great job.

Hi guys,

What do you use for stencil material to paint stripes etc. with? At the moment I'm using the plastic from milk containers which I heat lightly with a heat gun and mold to the shape of the lure and then cut out the shape of the stripes to spray through. It works well but I'm keen to experiment and try different materials. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kiwi

Kiwi,

I use a plastic sheet you get in the quilting department at Wally World. Its basicly the same thing you're using. I think they use it for some kind of stenciling on quilts and such. The thing I like about it is, let it set overnight and the dried paint pops right off.

I use liquid Ambroid E-Z Mask (found at hobby or model stores) to cover a clear bill and/or line ties before spraying. Peels off easily with fingernail pressure or a pencil eraser. Never really bothered with the hook hangers during painting. Occasionally have to hit them with a miniature wire wheel after the clear coat if the opening is globbed over.

btdt