capt mike

Raised Scale Texture

I'm trying to figure out how to get scale texture on baits. My 2 ideas are as follows:

1- wrap lure tight in mesh and spray numerous coats of primer to build up, remove mesh, let dry, sand lightly.

2-wrap lure in mesh and brush with light molding paste to build up, dry, sand lightly.

Anyone have any insight into this?

One way is to wrap the lure tightly in mesh and then apply foil over the mesh. Someone posted a thread about laying your mesh onto a sheet of foil and then running the mesh/foil layer through a pasta machine thus embossing it. Another thread talked about doing pretty much the same thing although without the pasta machine. Just lay your mesh down on a hard, smooth surface and then put your foil over that rolling it with a hard, round cylinder to achieve the embossed look.

Ben

I did that recently Ben. The scales come out fine in the foil. When I placed the foil on the bait, the scales got smashed back down due to the pressing and smoothing process of application. The scales are still visible in the foil. But they are no longer raised with the texture I want.

The scales come out fine in the foil. When I placed the foil on the bait, the scales got smashed back down due to the pressing and smoothing process of application. The scales are still visible in the foil. But they are no longer raised with the texture I want.

I have had the same experience. The only way I have been able to get a decent scaling effect was to do what Ben said and glue the mesh to the bait before foiling. Another way was to apply the foil first, then wrap in mesh and push really hard with a dowel and roll the mesh pattern into the foil. The latter works good with balsa because its so soft. Good luck and hopefully someone will chime in with the secret to applying pre-embossed foil.

I did that recently Ben. The scales come out fine in the foil. When I placed the foil on the bait, the scales got smashed back down due to the pressing and smoothing process of application. The scales are still visible in the foil. But they are no longer raised with the texture I want.

The only ones I've done like that I have left the scale material under the foil. You'll need to take something like a pencil eraser and press in between all the scales to make sure the foil sticks to the lure. If you come up with a good way I'd sure like to hear it.

The picture below is of a bait that the foil was applied over the scale mesh.

good luck,

Ben

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

11-25-2010 001.jpg

post-21848-0-77170600-1317940244_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayburnGuy

The only ones I've done like that I have left the scale material under the foil. You'll need to take something like a pencil eraser and press in between all the scales to make sure the foil sticks to the lure. If you come up with a good way I'd sure like to hear it.

good luck,

Ben

dang, i wasn't expecting that process to look that good... nice job.

Ok , you all know I don't have mad skills , but thought I'd give this a try .....

I just cut the foil to size , to fit the bait length, I then cut some mesh same size , peeled the backing off the foil & stuck the mesh to the foil. I then laid my

bait on the foil & drew the outline with a sharpie. Cut my shape out & glued it to the bait , haven't done anything else yet.

I used my thumb to press down on the foil......it worked for me...lol

Mike P.

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

post-21826-0-72849700-1318095489_thumb.jpg

IMGP1420.jpg

I think I know what you did. Thats hilarious and smart at the same time. I want to see how my idea comes out first before i try to figure out yours. I have a really nice raised scale pattern on my latest bait. I painted some thick acrylic paste through mesh onto the surface of the bait . I burnished some foil tape over it and it shows through really nice. My plan is to cast a mold and pick up the scale details. Now if I could just get this bait to swim right, i'll finish it and post the final product.

th_010.jpg This is a video of one I finished.

Edited by capt mike

good luck,

Ben

I haven't made hardbaits in years but my thought on this would to make it as simple and easy as possible. I would try one of those kitchen vacuum sealers. That should work. You may have to play with the thickness of the plastic bag.

www.novalures.com

Oh boy. That don't sound good. The first one was PVC and this latest bait is cypress. An S-waver is hard to get to swim right. The resin baits that I have been casting are 50/50 resin and microballons. Do you recommend a different mix? The PVC that I am using feels very close to the consistency of the 50/50 mix.

I actually made a putty mold of my herring. Boy was that a waste of money. The molds looked like a blob and left air pockets in the casting. :pissed:

All i can tell you is your going to have to play with the mix. Ive never made a waver style bait so im not sure where your ballast is or how you plan on putting it in. I dont use any lead/weights to ballast my baits, its all in the mix. So i may be no help there.

You will go through some resin at first but I think you will figure it out. PM me if you need some help