G-Bait

Wire Weedguard Questions

Hello,

Im new here. I have searched all over here for these answers but I have been unsuccesful. I found a thread on PJ's shakey heads and the wire weedguard they use. One thread suggested to ask PJ's about the wire used in their weedguards. I did this and emailed PJs... The answer I got was "stainless steel" no more no less.

Now for the questions:

I am looking for a twisted wire weedguard to use in a future modified pro brush jig mold and a football shakey head mold.

Where can I find this mysterious braided wire?

What diameter?

I am looking for a plyable yet stiff wire just like this picture below. The jig shown has been used and abused so the wire has seperated a bit.

Guys any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

Jeremy

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

432.jpg

post-27251-0-29944300-1318902513_thumb.jpg

Edited by G-Bait

G-Bait, I use the same thing as Jigman, it is surflon nylon coated braided leader wire, I use the 90#. Also, go to lure parts online and look under molds, then go to mold inserts, they have the wire weedguards for the do-it wacky mold and they have a wire weedguard they make, the one that they make is pretty good, I got a 20 pack to try and I really liked them. For me both work, the nice thing about the lure parts online weedguard is that I don't have any cutting or bending, and that is nice when making a ton of jigs but the surflon is nice if you know what size you want and have the time to make them which is cut and bend, it really doesn't take long but I tend to make a bunch and then forget about it until I run out...lol.

Wire weedguard- http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2818

Surflon- http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/afw-leader-wire/311668.aspx

I use a wire that is uncoated and much similar to what you are wanting. I get it from a company called Jersey Strand and cable. It is a .024" stress relieved stainless cable that is twisted, not braided. This is the exact wire that many jig manufacturers use in commercial jigs. I think a spool of 1000' is about $100 and will last you forever. If you need more info you can e-mail me and I will look everything up to give you all the specs.

christopher.holtzclaw@cobb-vantress.com

I’m making finesse jigs so it would need to be a direct pour with the weed guard in place. Jigs in the range of 1/16- 1/8 ounce. Just looking for a weed guard material suitable as far as flexibility for light line and finesse applications that I can cut (dremel) into some of my molds. I would like to direct pour them then have the option to paint and cure them just not sure if the nylon coated would hold up to that. Small jaw said he uses a 90 lb leader material but not sure how he finishes his jigs. 

2 hours ago, Zmanfisher said:

I’m making finesse jigs so it would need to be a direct pour with the weed guard in place. Jigs in the range of 1/16- 1/8 ounce. Just looking for a weed guard material suitable as far as flexibility for light line and finesse applications that I can cut (dremel) into some of my molds. I would like to direct pour them then have the option to paint and cure them just not sure if the nylon coated would hold up to that. Small jaw said he uses a 90 lb leader material but not sure how he finishes his jigs. 

I used the 90# nylon coated for tube jigs that were unpainted and they were 1/8oz to 1/4oz range. For what you want I would use the uncoated as it will be easier to work with on the smaller heads. The nylon coating needs to be trimmed back on the end that is going into the cavity, if you pour with the nylon coating on the wire your heads will end up with holes. For 1/16oz jigs go with 60lb uncoated which is .018 diameter and for the 1/8oz I'd go with 90lb which is .024 diameter. One thing to remember with the uncoated wire is when you paint your jig also heat the end of the wire and dip that in the powder as well and then cure. The powder on the end of the wire will keep it from unraveling since there isn't a nylon coating keeping it in place. https://www.cabelas.com/product/American-Fishing-Wire-SurfStrand-Uncoated-Wire/711866.uts

• Thanks 1

I’m making finesse jigs so it would need to be a direct pour with the weed guard in place. Jigs in the range of 1/16- 1/8 ounce. Just looking for a weed guard material suitable as far as flexibility for light line and finesse applications that I can cut (dremel) into some of my molds. I would like to direct pour them then have the option to paint and cure them just not sure if the nylon coated would hold up to that. Small jaw said he uses a 90 lb leader material but not sure how he finishes his jigs.                     Thank you smalljaw that is exactly the info I needed I appreciate you taking the time to write me! 

3 hours ago, 21xdc said:

What is wrong with these?  https://barlowstackle.com/Wire-Weed-Guard-P3836/

Image result for 5679 Wire Weedguard

I have been using them and I’m really not very fond of them. I started dipping the tips which helped with the fraying and gouging of fishes eyes but I think I would prefer something just a shade more stout I’m bending these back into place on almost every cast. I’m going to try the 90# and see if they are a little more rigid I say little because these are close just not perfect. 

5 hours ago, Zmanfisher said:

I have been using them and I’m really not very fond of them. I started dipping the tips which helped with the fraying and gouging of fishes eyes but I think I would prefer something just a shade more stout I’m bending these back into place on almost every cast. I’m going to try the 90# and see if they are a little more rigid I say little because these are close just not perfect. 

That's why I suggest trying the weed wacker line, which is basically just a really heavy mono.  It is slick, so weeds slip right off of it, but it's still flexible, so it doesn't interfere with the hookset.  I use the .065" line.

8 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Have you tried the Do-it weed wire guards? They are used in the wacky jig,  I actually like them in the 1/16oz wacky jig as they are very light but still go a good job.

Yes I have tried them not bad but not perfect either hoping the 90# you suggested will be what I’m looking for in the 1/8 and 60# in the 1/6