A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

Well its kinda a hard bait, sorta a wire bait, and then mostly whatever the 5 lures are you strap to it! In my opinion, one of the most awesome and unique ways to fish for bass I've seen... well in my lifetime!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out flwoutdoors.com and see the absolute thumpin' that Paul Elias is laying down on the field. Just figured I'd throw this out there.

Yup, I hear they are illegal in TX... so don't you worry bassnbrad, lake fork should never have to see them!

dang I wish there was still such a thing as Harry and Charlie comics in the back of bassmaster... I'm sure this rig would make a humorous story.

I was just gonna post something about this a buddy just called me wanting me to make one. Paul elias caught 5 5 pounders on 1 cast in the flew tournament their having right now. Anybody know how to make these?

I was going to ask the same thing. I was on the lake yesterday, and every FLW guy I saw was throwing these, even co-anglers.

The wires come out of the back of the rig...

Something as simple as a half ounce egg sinker with two wires bent in half through the egg sinker to create 4 of the legs and a fifth wire run through with an eye on the end. Then is cast in some resin mold to create the body and paint...

looks quite simple...

Edited by CatchingConcepts

The wires come out of the back of the rig...

Something as simple as a half ounce egg sinker with two wires bent in half through the egg sinker to create 4 of the legs and a fifth wire run through with an eye on the end. Then is cast in some resin mold to create the body and paint...

looks quite simple...

The head is not weighted. The entire rig (minus the 5 lures) is 3/8th of an ounce.

Then minus the egg sinker, do a couple haywire twists and mold a simple resin body over the front...

If you need more bouyancy use foam for the molding process of the front structure...

Assume I'm dumb, which I am. All I have ever fooled with is soft plastics. What is a Haywire Twist, and how do I make it?

Just thought about something. Could the wires not be welded together?

Edited by Largehead Louie

welding would be overkill, not necessary...

Haywire twist is a simple twisting of wires just twist two doubled up wires over the main fifth wire shaft to form a bundle with five wires out the back, and a single strand shaft to form the eye out the front.

for my fisrt try and ease of construction, Im betting you could slide a correct sized foam float (slip bobber or float of correct size) over the twists, epoxy into place, then form front eye, and paint... five legs just look to have simple duo lock snaps on twist formed eyes?

i made one tonight and gave it to my buddy to try out to see if it swims, i made the body out of wood and used a belly weight like i would for crankbait minus the hook hanger. Ran one wire straight trough the bait for the front line tie and when it comes out the back its the longer center wire you tie a bait to then i took 2 peices of wire bent them in half conected it to the main wire and epoxied it in the bait. Should work ok, i need to get some heavier gauge wire. sorry no pics, i'll start working on the real ones tomorrow then i'll post pics. Question i have i seen where he had a patent pending on the bait and if i tweeked the look of the body could i sell them? I dont see how he could get a patent on this since its just a modified umbrella rig. but if i can sell em i know they will go fast, already have quite a few people looking for them.

hudleson patented basically any swimbait tail that displaces water... so i'm sure you can patent just about anything if you have the $. To the best of my understanding, it takes 10% change to a product to go around a patent. 10% isn't that much, but again it depends on how strong their patent is and even more importantly, how strong their patent lawyer is.

i think these things are gonna be the next hot thing, i just dont understand how they are legal in a tournament because you can only use 2 hooks at a time but i think every pro that made the final cut at the flw tournament on guntersville was throwing this thing, maybe its only legal in certain states?

i think these things are gonna be the next hot thing, i just dont understand how they are legal in a tournament because you can only use 2 hooks at a time but i think every pro that made the final cut at the flw tournament on guntersville was throwing this thing, maybe its only legal in certain states?

this depends on the state. For instance, having 5 hooks may be illegal in most states, but 2 or 3 hooks is not. So you could still use the rig with 5 lures, you just can't have all 5 with hooks. From my understanding, this is what striper guys do.

At $25 for some wire and swivels, there'll be lots of people making their own versions of these things, I put one together in thirty minutes tonight. Pretty simple looking, just hope it runs correct. I believe if you weight your baits properly that you put on, it'd be hard to mess up.