A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

I would also like to know how you connected your secondary wires to the main wire? Going to have to talk to a game warden to see if this is legal in Indiana with two wires (since we are only alowed two baits per pole) or does this count as one lure per the main body? The next thing will be the crappie and white bass fishermen will down size it for their fishing. Maybe even work good for trolling livebait for walleye?

Good luck with the patent ....... it's been used for stripers for decades ....... called an umbrella rig. Here in MD you can only have 2 hooks per lure so you put smaller lures w/o hooks on the wire arms and tandem 2 larger lures behind them so it looks like a couple of swimbait size fish chasing bait .......... catches tons of fish .......

Here's my take on the Alabama rig, adapted to pass most fish and game laws as well as tournament rules...

And totally original new ideas incorporated...

Its a bit more compact, still spreads the trailing baits nicely and crank imparts a bit of extra action to the rig...

Catching Concepts Cali Rig ???

Thoughts?

399112932.jpg

Edited by CatchingConcepts
  • Like 1

I used ss wire I use for my hook hangers for my crank baits, I ordered some heavier gauge wire cause what I have I don't think will work. I bent my secondary wires in half then used the main wire that goes through the bait to twist around the secondary wires then hid it inside the wood part then epoxied everything together. My buddy said they swam good and had smallmouth chasing it when he was trying it out. Gonna have to add more weight to the wood so it will swim level.

Fish and Game regs around the country will be under review concerning this rig...

Reading Elias article http://www.bassmaste...its-alabama-rig it says he attached 1/2 ounce jig heads to the rig, making it weigh in at over 2 ounces...

To me, the weight doesnt belong on the arms, but on the central main shaft or frame of this bait with the arms having straight wide bend flipping style hooks or ewg for weedless apps. Also makes it very self defeating to create a forebody of wood or bouyant material, requiring even more weight to get the rig down.

From my experiments the rig functions better and baits all tangle less and swim more naturally as an illusion of a school of bait with no weight hanging from the arms.

I see this bait morphing into a more compact style sort of hybrid spinnerbait looking device with a weight placement that allows it to be cast even better and be better balanced.

All of us shallow river anglers have been having a good chuckle. "So THIS is what we're going to be pulling out of the wood next year?" We thank all the shore anglers who donated those nice diving crankbaits last year. Repaints at a discount.

I dunno about this whole scheme... and I'm originally from Alabama. Heh. But it is nice to see a wire bait get some press.

Any of you musky guys putting together a quintuple cowgirl yet?

Yeah its going to start the usual big next craze in the bass guys world... Everyone will think they need to try one like its a new magic fish magnet.

In reality 90 percent of the guys will plunk down their money and never really grasp its correct applications, especially with it being a very self customizable rig with user input required on what you snap on all the arms, it could get real scary what guys are flinging out there!

As I see it, the best app for this bait is suspended schooling bass that are located in open water with electronics and then back off and lob this heavy rig at them and drop it or pull it through the school.

Will the average bass fisherman looking for the next magic lure attain correct understanding of presentation to make it consistantly work?

Its a great tool obviously in the hands of those who understand its applications, just as swim baits are incredible tools when applied in correct situations. But look just how many swim baits sit in guys boxes who never fully figured out the correct applications and more importantly never took the time to master the presentation.

But it is potentially the next bass craze, so lure builders get ready... There will be a market and as I see it, lots or room for modification and improvenment on this "rig"

Ok, after some thinking and mods, here is my latest take on the schooling baitfish rig...

399126384.jpg

much more conventional feel to the bait, casts well, doesnt roll over, great balance, much better on the drop! Swims great and looks like a school of bait...

As well, the arm is removable for ease of storage... and fishes much lighter and easier with a conventional profile and 1 ounce weight, throws nice on a 7 foot heavy action rod with softer tip/bend...

Thoughts on this one?

Oh BTW this is the Catching Concepts baitfish school rig... PATENTS PENDING :lolhuh:

Totally argree! This will be the next great thing until people get tired of getting hung or dont catch 10 fish on one cast or cast it off using inadequate gear lol. Elias is just lucky he wasnt marking a school of hybrids or stripers. Oh well im good with my solo rigging for now

Swam my lure this morning. I liked it just the way it was. Weighting will depend greatly on what you want the lure to do. I had it rigged with five worms, hooks and no weight. Sank slowly and I could see slow rolling this bait at any depth you wanted and it would stay there. Want to fish it faster up and down at a range of depths then add weight. Totally up to the user. The lure would turn just a bit then settle and swim perfectly horizontal. Having only used an umbrella once and that was years ago to catch bait for deep sea fishing, it felt a little unfair casting so many lures at once. But if I am catching fish, I will probably get over it.