A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

Made of 3/4 inch PVC Trim Board, 1/8oz weight in belly, foiled with aluminum duct tape, colored with sharpies, cleared with D2T, .035 spring temper stainless wires, 2/0 Gamakatsu wide gap, 3in. Kalins Grubs. Total Weight 1.17 0z.

John

TnBamaRig001.jpg

TnBamaRig002.jpg

I took this thing down to the topside ramp today and made a few casts to see what it would do. Much to my surprise, :o

it is a high floater. It landed in the water with the wires and grubs hanging straight down and the nose and ½ of the body was above the water. on the retrieve, it looked like a small school of minnows swimming with the grubs rippling the surface of the water, even at a rather slow speed. this might be a good thing. Rather than add more weight to this one, I will make another and not finish it until I find the correct amount of ballast to get it down to the Denizens of the deep. :wink:

Mine was a slow sinker even with nothing attached. Probably all that extra stainless. I also drilled a very large hole and filled it with stainless and two part epoxy. The body of my lure was made from Pine and for water protection was allowed to soak 24 hours in a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits. This too adds weight and there is a loss of buoyancy due to the oil being carried into the wood with the spirits.

My future builds will be a smaller body. Not 100 percent positive but besides from being less buoyant, the fish chasing this lure will be more likely to attack the larger trailing targets.

Vic

Edited by littleriver

IMG-20111030-00066.jpg

Here's one I made from .035 stainless wire, and thread. Took me a few tries to bind the 5 wires in a streamlined package, but I think I got it this time. I made an oblong line tie and folded the 2 arms in half so all 4 arms parallel the shaft. Then I used thread to bind them in place. 3D eyes abd a D2T topcoat finish the package.

IMG-20111029-00061.jpg

This was the first try made with 5 seperate, 6" straight wire shafts. I covered the wire wraps with thread and a coat of D2T. I used the tag end of the wire in the eyelet to bind the arms to the center shaft. It's bulkier than I would like, but it worked.

Edited by Big-D
  • Like 1

Just like everyone else, I am trying to put together one of these rigs. I had a question that I hope someone who has seen one of the originals can answer. How long should the arms extend from where they bend to the swivel? 6" ? 8" ? The first one that I made looks too long but I havent tested it yet. Has anyone got any ideas????

All the pix I have seen dont have a swivel on the nose of the bait...

http://www.thealabamarig.com/

for reference, check out the official site !

EDIT --- I get it you mean that they used a crane swivel for the line tie on the front and formed the body over... Good idea to reduce bending wire I guess and getting a cleaner look...

Edited by CatchingConcepts

I must say I was pretty skeptical about this rig when first reading about it and watching the videos. It seemed to me like it would be useful only in a very limited set of conditions. After fishing yesterday and seeing the number of fish that were following hooked fish to the boat it made me wish I had one to try. The fish were chasing schools of small shad and would have probably went nuts over this rig. May have to try and build a couple just for the heck of it.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Rayburn im about to have some made before long. Dont spend any money on em. I'll send you one to try out. It is amazing to me how much attention this rig is getting. I have three of the original alabama rigs. I have fished them quite often over the last few weeks. So far im not blown away by them. I have had just as much luck with a single swimbait. I fish a lot and I love the idea. I just think its like any other lure. There is always a time and a place for it.

Thanks Clint. And your definitely right about all the attention it's getting. I seriously doubt that most fishermen will go to the trouble to learn what conditions and lures work best on the thing and will end up fishing it a few times and then sticking it in the "don't catch" lure pile. I cobbled one together this afternoon just for the heck of it. Haven't decided about putting a head on it or what would be the best way, and material, to make a head for it. I may try it without a head and see what happens before I go any farther. My fishing buddy told me that if I made one of them I better make two just in case they worked so he could have one. lol

Ben

Moreland wins FLW Kentucky Lake. Thats two tournments in a row won on this bait. The thing that most people are missing is this bait catches supended bass! Elias was running down the lake and spotted bass twenty feet deep in thirty feet of water. Stopped his boat, threw out the alabama rig, let it sink about ten to fifteen feet and started to retrieve it. The bass came up from twenty feet and smashed it. Limit in no time. Now how many guys can catch suspended bass on any rig? Not many, if this works it will change tournment fishing. Just run around the lake looking for suspended schools of bass and bait and throw the alabama rig!

The thing that most people are missing is this bait catches supended bass!

That's what I was thinking when I watched the video interview of Paul at the first tournament. I was in a situation the other day where bass were feeding on schools of small shad in shallow water (3 to 8 feet) and on multiple occasions there would be 3 to 5 bass following a hooked fish to the boat. I'm thinking it might also work in a situation such as that as well.

Ben