A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

Hey guys...I have had several manufacturers ask me to make these things....so here they are. In the last 3 days I have sold over 1500 of these in California alone. I also have a 3 wire version that is getting around the 'ban' of these things. I can not seem to get a photo loaded up but check out our site.....front page.

www.shop.htlureco.com

Here is another video on how to make Alabama Rig diy/custom version. It looks like it has pretty light wire, probably better for smaller fish and panfish. Really simply though, anyone could make the Alabama Rig / Umbrella rig themselves:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_tSDVM_VyO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not really sure how to embed the video, here is the direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSDVM_VyO0

Your right. Don't know what is happening or what it really means. But it was there when I posted about the location.. Maybe it got pulled from viewing???? I've learned recently if you really see something you want to review later try and download it or print it because it may dissappear in a few days.

Basically the video showed how to take surveyors flag wires and use them to make the rig. The guy used a swagging tool and some aluminum crips from big box hardware stores to hold things together. Took a 1/4 ounce worm weight and ran one wire with a loop made at one end to form a line tie. Then the other 4 wires were crimped on at the back of the worm weight. He then put barrel swivels/snaps on the other end of the wire using smaller crimps to retain the loops for the swivels. Just one way to make a rig. Searching around the internet you can find other variations of making the rig. Also there are other production versions out there. Even seen some make your own tackle suppliers offering parts to make the rig.

I had an arm break from mine... not on a fish though. I was just riggin' it back up on my rod. I think you really need to be careful to not bend them too much. I was bending my version back to compress the lures a little, but I think that just really weakened the wire. I'd be interested in hearing about the twisted wire versions to see if they are having any breakage.

A Mac So far so good. Just made two more three wire snake heads for a local tournament fisherman. I am sure they will get a workout. I am going to stick to the twisted wire until something tells me different. Since i am using wood for the bodies and only allowed three wires the extra metal helps make mine sink.

If you want to know how the A-Rig is put together in the head this is what I discovered. I was able to take an x-ray of an original, in the head there is a crane swivel, one end you tie to then on the other end of the swivel there is an split ring, with the five wires twisted in loops just like the bottom end of the wires where the snaps are for attachment for lures. These loops are put on the split ring then cast in resin. I could have just cut one apart but thin I would have been out 30.00 bucks with nothing to fish with.

• Like 1

I was going to ask the same thing. I was on the lake yesterday, and every FLW guy I saw was throwing these, even co-anglers.

In regaurds to making them...There are websites out there that you can buy the lead head and 5 wires coming out of it...Does not have the snap swivels and is not painted nor does it have eyes. But they are super cheap! Other wise I have been playing around with buying heavier spinnerbait wire, take a small cork, stick all 5 wires in, leave one at the head long enough to make an eyelet, sodder them together, I then wrap that in lead wire. At this point you can sodder that together, or dip in plasty dip. Just add snap swivels to the other ends...Very inexpsensive way to make them.

Hey guys ........ this rig should be legal in all states if you don't use more than 2 hooks. We've been using it here in Maryland for stripers for a LONG time and we can only have 2 hooks on a rig. The key is to have smaller lures without hooks on the short arms and a larger one a foot or more back with a hook .......... it looks like a small fish after minnows ........ the big fish go for the larger lure in the back everytime

It looks like the "AlaBama Rig" people are mad about people posting "how to make alabama style rig" videos or related videos. They've been posting all over YouTube today, threatening video owners. Here's a few comments from them, pretty outlandish:

"Did you know that using the Alabama Rig registered name is a copy write infringement? Using Alabama Rig or A-rig in any way to lead advertising to your utube video is illegal. I need youto remove your tags and any liture with Alabama Rig name in it. Consider thisa friendly warning. Tammy Poss"

"The Alabama Rig and A-Rig name is a registered name with the US Trademark Office. You are illegally using it. Your design will infringe on our patent. You I believe have been notified."

"You are still using our name illegally for financial gain. I don't see how you can be telling people God bless you. You are stealing from us as well as using our Name The Alabama Rig and A-Rig which is registered with the US Trademark office illegally. Consider this a friendly reminder next will not be so friendly."

"This is to notify you that you have used The Alabama Rig in a illegal manner without wriiten permission. This name is a registered a Trademark name with the US Trademark Office. Your title stated home made Alabama rig which must be deleted. Consider this a friendly notice. Also when the Patent is granted you also are infringing on the patent with 3 wires. If you have any questions you may call us direct at 256-275-9383 or our attorneys, either or. Thank you. Tammy Poss"

"Read the disclosure on our patent application I had it worded so the any (Head) made of any material which we have other application coming down stream with different heads. Also the wires are stated multiple meaning more than 1. I hope you understand our frustration, thats like Ford amking a new engine and you happen to be a mech forthem or just figure something out on your own but not your idea in the first place. then make a video for"

As seen here:

It's my opinion they are only trying to protect their investment. I have no doubt that if any of us here at TU had designed and built the hottest lure on the market these days that we would be more than a little upset when someone started using our lure's name and design to build "knockoffs" of the lure we had worked so hard to produce and market.

I realize they didn't really invent what is commonly known as an umbrella rig, but they did put enough thought into it to downsize it for bass and other freshwater species as well as do the testing, production and marketing of their product.

But, like I said, that is just my opinion and it's worth as much as you paid for it.

Ben

You mention some interesting points Rayburn guy. However, threatening small children on Youtube isn't the best way to increase your fan base. if anything, it may lead to a backlash against the Alabama rig makers.

Take for example the following comments left on several fishing videos made by kids:

youtu.be/JB60QKQlfBk

"Hey Son, You need to remove my registered name from your video and title. The Alabama Rig name can't be used to advertise a knock-off or Fake. Consider this a friendly warning."

and

"This is to notify you that you have used The Alabama Rig in a illegal manner without wriiten permission. This name is a registered a Trademark name with the US Trademark Office. Your title stated home made Alabama rig which must be deleted. Consider this a friendly notice. Also when the Patent is granted you also are infringing on the patent with 3 wires. If you have any questions you may call us direct at 256-275-9383 or our attorneys, either or. Thank you. Tammy Poss"

No, your right. They don't need to be threatening kids, but you didn't make it clear kids were the ones they were sending these comments to. And let's be fair. It's not just kids that are doing this. If they knew it was kids then they should have done some research and found out who was sponsoring the children and addressed their comments to them. I'm just guessing, but I figure they feel threatened that so many people are making money by selling "knockoffs" of their lure and using their name to do it.

It would be pretty much the same thing if someone broke into your home and stole things you had worked hard for. I sure as hell wouldn't like that and bet you would feel the same way. And the comments you posted in your last post could hardly be taken as threats. The wording could have been a lot better, but nowhere did they go so far as to actually threaten anyone. No doubt if a child read the comments you quoted they could be scared and that's where I think the A-Rig folks could have handled things a lot better. Instead of posting comments on a YouTube message board they should have gotten their attorney to mail out cease and desist orders to the adult in charge.

The fact still remains that the Alabama Rig is being copied faster than any bait that's come down the pike in a long, long time. That I remember anyway. And if they do indeed have copyrights and patents then everyone that builds an A-Rig is breaking the law. I have a feeling the Alabama Rig will go the way of every other "fish catchingest lure known to man."

Anyway, that's just my :twocents:

Ben

No, your right. They don't need to be threatening kids, but you didn't make it clear kids were the ones they were sending these comments to. And let's be fair. It's not just kids that are doing this. If they knew it was kids then they should have done some research and found out who was sponsoring the children and addressed their comments to them. I'm just guessing, but I figure they feel threatened that so many people are making money by selling "knockoffs" of their lure and using their name to do it.

It would be pretty much the same thing if someone broke into your home and stole things you had worked hard for. I sure as hell wouldn't like that and bet you would feel the same way. And the comments you posted in your last post could hardly be taken as threats. The wording could have been a lot better, but nowhere did they go so far as to actually threaten anyone. No doubt if a child read the comments you quoted they could be scared and that's where I think the A-Rig folks could have handled things a lot better. Instead of posting comments on a YouTube message board they should have gotten their attorney to mail out cease and desist orders to the adult in charge.

The fact still remains that the Alabama Rig is being copied faster than any bait that's come down the pike in a long, long time. That I remember anyway. And if they do indeed have copyrights and patents then everyone that builds an A-Rig is breaking the law. I have a feeling the Alabama Rig will go the way of every other "fish catchingest lure known to man."

Anyway, that's just my :twocents:

Ben

X2 You said it all.

Ok, using the name "Alabama Rig" to describe your knockoff is not cool, I can see that being a problem to the owner. But as far as intellectual design of the rig itself, they do not have a leg to stand on. The umbrella rig has been used since the early 60's by striper fisherman on the Right Coast, John Sekora and Gus Potts can take credit for the idea. So they essentially knocked off a design that has been around for close to 50 years and put their little spin on it. Good luck on patenting that!!

• Like 1